Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proven Solar Roads a solution for Hawaii
This would be a fantastic way for the homeowners in private neighborhoods, paying for their roads, to create their own power source from their roads.

It's the roadway of the future! Feel inspired?

Help us bring this project to the next step:
Watch and see how the world needs this new technology to right the wrong of the current industry we use, that hurts us and our Land, Air, Water. Enjoy, get ready to smile [Big Grin]
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/so...

Check out our other videos for more info!
http://youtu.be/qlTA3rnpgzU
What is YOUR part in this whalesong ?
quote:
Originally posted by pog

What is YOUR part in this whalesong ?

I dont know about whalesong but I have been keeping on the Solar Roadway group to use my driveway for the hawaii test! [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

I have been following them for a few years and IF the tech can be perfected, hit the road rooftop solar panels, and I would use it instead of concrete driveways! (and the led lights can be changed to reflect owner's taste - couldnt you see dancing Xmas lights!!)

Imagine no PGV or helco generation plants to make electricity?

Their indiegogo campaign is completed months ago and even I think it was Julian Lennon donated to fund this project.

Okay, so here I go again, raining down that road again. What happens when the sun goes down for the evening? SOL and that ain't no Latin there. Wink

This might help (one day) :
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27829874

The link is about vanadium batteries.
I don't know about this solar road, but when someone writes "proven" in their post and then can't actually proof read their post and realise their first link is broken, I just sigh...
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

Okay, so here I go again, raining down that road again. What happens when the sun goes down for the evening? SOL and that ain't no Latin there. Wink

Battery storage just like a regular solar system; since after the storm we all realized (I hope) that net metering is worthless.
Net metering is not worthless. It is, in my opinion, the most logical course of action.
Batteries just aren't good enough yet.
The electric grid is built upon using high voltage lines to transport power. The power is stepped down to power blocks of homes. It is the most cost effective way to transport electricity from the point of generation to the end consumer. The problem is that the grid was never designed to work in reverse- you can't transport low voltage electricity that solar panels make over distances. The resistance in the copper will just eat up all the juice. As far as I know there is no cost effective way to step up the small amounts of power made by solar panels past the nearest transformer. You can share your power with your neighbors, but if too many of them also get panels, then what? Grid tie fees go up to $80, and in some places even higher as they put band aids on a 19th century power distribution system trying to make it work in reverse. Grid tie is not the answer, at least not the grid as we know it. It can work in areas of high population densities, but I don't see it happening here.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Net metering is not worthless. It is, in my opinion, the most logical course of action.
Batteries just aren't good enough yet.

I wonder how many people with net metering during the storm's power outage would agree with you. No grid power - net metering was not working, unless you also had battery back up.