Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Legend of Pele - Kamokila Campbell
One of the "messengers" of our culture, Kamokila Campbell, shares mana'o (thoughts/opinion) learned from kupuna. Albeit the background music, and the manner in which this is told, is perhaps "Hollywood", the essence of the message is not lost. It was the way (back in the day) how we got the message across to our "visitors".

For what it is worth, in this trying time, attempting to share our culture (again), this is the best rendition of what we were taught by our kupuna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMv-ej7JvB8

Eo mai, Pele. Eo mai. Mahalo ke Akua, e na Kupuna, e na Aumakua.

JMO.
Mahalo for posting. I've heard a number of versions of this legend and it's very interesting to hear another.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Mahalo Nui for sharing this story!
Kamokila Campbell's voice and tale is mesmerizing. I'd love to hear more.

My pleasure. Her voice is mesmerizing indeed. Enchanting!

Unfortunately, those of our era did not tape/video/record anything. Our culture was "private" and only spoken, especially after being beaten for speaking Hawaiian or sharing the teachings (post Missionary).

There are a few kupuna (elders) who freely share their mana'o and beliefs today. Uncle Robert Keliihoomalu is one in Puna (Kaimu), and Aunty Pua Kanakaole (whose mother was Edith, of the lineage of Tutu Pele and a respected "authority"), among others. Should I be able to find any other worthy videos or readings (there are some here that I shared in other old, old threads), I'll post.

In closing, leaving you with this kahiko (ancient) hula. A rendition of the fight between Kamapua'a and Pele. If you listen carefully, you will hear the reference to Puna, and Pele. The "kahea" (call) from the chanter is alone powerful. The motions of the dancers will express the meaning of the tale. In essence, this is the story:

"The sacred hill of Ka'uku is the setting for the battle beetween Pele (fire) and Kamapua'a (water). Pele desired more land but in the battle, Kaumapua'a was the victor. Kau'ku marks the land boundaries between Pele and Kamapua'a."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4byaD9Jb2jg

Huli a ku huli mai, huli lua e. Kamapua'a could change his "outer shell" as Pele could. He could be a handsome, young, fierce soul, or a pig. She could be old and worn, or a stunning young maiden.
Depends on the circumstances. In this instance, he won the battle.

Times are changing before our very eyes. This current lava flow is a once in a lifetime experience for most. I hope we all can envelop the "mana" (power/force).

Appreciate your interest.

Mahalo ke Akua, e na Aumakua, e na Kupuna.

JMO.
Again, I must thank you being willing to share your knowledge and Aloha.
I know that I am not alone in my interest, appreciation and respect for the Hawaiian people and culture and my belief in the importance of keeping it alive through language,music, chants, dance and actions such as yours by posting this thread.
I am a tribal member of the La Courte Orielles. (called Chippewa by non Indians) My Grandmother is Ohana of our Chiefs. She spoke the language of our tribe, and kept our ancestry alive through her stories and the manner in which she lived her life and taught us to live ours. We too honor our lineage, land and history.
Our once proud and happy people are now scattered all over the world, many living in poverty because their land was taken away.
My father always said that we "were not warriors, but basket weavers." Maybe it would have been better for us if we had been warriors.
Our people fished the Great Lakes, picked wild rice and blueberries and believed in "malama ka aina" as do Hawaiians. Chippewa are no longer able to fish or gather their food, as the Great Lakes and surrounding land are now polluted with chemicals because of "progress".
I pray that you continue to do everything within your power to keep your land pure, and your culture alive!
Please know that your land and people have my utmost love and respect, and that my Ohana is grateful for all the years that Hawaiians have shown us their Aloha, and Madam Pele has allowed us to live in her house.
Thank you for helping me understand and put our current lava situation into perspective through your knowledge.
Mahalo Kumu!
Sincerely,
Mindamoya (little bird)
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao

One of the "messengers" of our culture, Kamokila Campbell, shares mana'o (thoughts/opinion) learned from kupuna. Albeit the background music, and the manner in which this is told, is perhaps "Hollywood", the essence of the message is not lost. It was the way (back in the day) how we got the message across to our "visitors".

For what it is worth, in this trying time, attempting to share our culture (again), this is the best rendition of what we were taught by our kupuna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMv-ej7JvB8

Eo mai, Pele. Eo mai. Mahalo ke Akua, e na Kupuna, e na Aumakua.

JMO.

Thank you so much for posting! If you do not mind, if there are more links to educate me about the history and culture, I would appreciate it so much. I've enjoyed all the links you've posted.

Best wishes
Best wishes
Unlike the western gods, the Hawaiian demigods have no problem showing themselves and Pele still mingles with kane in shapeshift form. The western gods demand blind faith, worthless humans always asking for a sign. The Hawaiian demigod living spirit beings are always showing themselves for brief, fleeting moments. They are seen more now with time exposure cameras, from people that were only looking for great photo shots.

One face of Pele
http://www.hilo.hawaii.edu/~csav/gallery/Pele600.jpg

This is one face of Na-mako-o-Kaha'i in Iselle (not Pele)
http://www.kahunaresearchgroup.org/uploa...2_orig.jpg

One face of Ka-Loa (lives in the Sun)
http://localtvwiti.files.wordpress.com/2....jpg?w=770

It may be the ohana are showing themselves now to show they are indeed living spiritual beings that have occupied this solar system long before kane.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Namakaokaha'i is not a hurricane. Different ohana. Just wanted to make that clear for all the readers of this thread.
Also Kaloa? Definitely not someone inside the sun.
The Polynesians first left land about 7,000 years ago. When they left, they already had 25,000 years of migration lore.

The significant difference of the Polynesian religion is that it became a science, working well enough to complete the migration to South America, several hundred years before Columbus.

There has been Polynesian DNA found in Brazilian jungle tribes, and there is south american indian DNA in living easter islanders. This is very profound, since it means the story told about Rapa Nui by the western culture is all wrong.

All indications are Rapa Nui didn't wipe themselves out through ecological overuse. The trees were wiped out by canoes to make voyages to the americas (this name really needs to be changed, it is all messed up). We live in a false history world defined by caucasian european views, opinions, beliefs, convictions, and religion. The western religions are proving more and more false as digging into the past continues, and the Polynesian religion is proving more and more how it was a truly functional religion.

And Ka-Loa lives in the sun because he chooses to live there. He can go anywhere he wants, has and will. It has been pointed out the demigods are not the phenomena they are associated with. They are spirit beings that reside in the phenomena, with some influence over the control panel.

quote:
http://news.sciencemag.org/archaeology/2...sted-genes
Epic pre-Columbian voyage suggested by genes
Polynesians from Easter Island and natives of South America met and mingled long before Europeans voyaged the Pacific, according to a new genetic study of living Easter Islanders.

quote:
http://www.nature.com/news/dna-study-lin...ns-1.12710
DNA study links indigenous Brazilians to Polynesians

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Opihikao -

I was wondering with all the thunder and rain last night if Kane-hekili was working to cool off the fire of Pele.

I am trying to read and listen to as much as I can absorb but this came to me as I was sitting outside listening to the rain and thunder last night.

I may have gotten it wrong but am trying to learn.

Thank you!