Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBQ's in Paradise
As some of you know, last August I bought a house under unusual circumstances (owner suicide (not in house)/pending foreclosure/bank short sale). I saw the house for about 10 minutes before returning to the mainland and submitting an offer. I had an inspection but was not present for the inspection.

Included in the sale was (according to the MLS) a BBQ, on the patio. The BBQ was not inspected. When I finally got a good look at the house, I examined the BBQ which looked to be a very recent propane model--- not more than two years old.

Although the BBQ was still under its cover, the burners were destroyed. One of the previous owners (and the only occupant of the home), who is no longer among the living, had a fondness for fire and was not always very careful with it. At first I though that the burners may have been destroyed as a result of some sort of accident (there was just such an accident in the fireplace, which has necessitated my refurbishing the fireplace). Now that I am considering replacing the BBQ, it has occured to me: was the BBQ rusted out instead?

I am 450 feet from the water. Do BBQ's rust out in Puna, just by sitting outdoors, even though they are covered? This thing was a mess. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Everything that can rust will. Seen pictures of refrigerators that were in peoples' homes that are rusted big time. Seems like anything metal may need replacing much faster than on mainland. (In Arizona nothing rusts so it's an adjustment.)

Glen, you'll feel it more than most 'cause you're right on the water. The salt corrodes things much faster.

(Just my observation.)

Carrie

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. ~Dalai Lama

Edited by - Carolann R on 10/17/2007 08:55:20
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Okay, so I have a garage. Should I store the BBQ in the garage when cool and not in use?

As my friend Zoe would say, good luck with that.

Our BBQ used a couple of times a week under a covered deck away from the side that gets spray is rusted to pieces from humidity and salt. We used to spend the big bucks on a nice BBQ but no longer - we get the inexpensive ones every other year or two at the end of the season...

As a kid in Cali I remember my dad had our BBQ long after I had left home.
Many BBQ's have stainless steel burners that are replaceable. They will eventually decompose, but usually last several years. The drippings from cooking as well as salt (if used while cooking) is the larger culprit. I usually take my burners out once a year and clean them with a wire brush.

Many of the larger stores, and I suspect Walmart is one of them, stock replacement burners,venturies, ignitors, grates and rocks.

Bill

Home Depot has 'em too.

Carrie

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. ~Dalai Lama
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Glen, we had a BBQ, new, for 5 months on O'o in HPP (1/2 block from shore) It was in the carport with cover. All of the Stainless has rust pits, the chrome ring around the thermometer is totally pitted & the 2 of the burners were replaced due to corrosion (brass burners)
So it could be that the just corroded after a couple of years in the slat spray. (we did put car wax on the support legs when they were new, they have a blush of rust)
In the alsmost two years we have been up in Keaau, no further corrosion.

It is common for rust to form on gas barbecue burners. Simply firing up your barbecue sets rust formation in motion.....Burners made of sheet metal, stainless steel sheet metal, cast iron will rust the most. Cast stainless steel, or cast brass will last the longest. When the BBQ starts cooling down, condensation forms and the rusting begins....If you wipe the BBQ down and dry off the burners after it cools the burners will last longer....I like to use my air compressor to "blow dry" the burners..... Keep the BBQ out of the sun, because as it cools at night.......condensation forms.

Hey Glen if you have ever been a fan of the food channel there is a show named All Star Kitchen Makeover. Well Known, Bobby Flay did a custom outdoor kitchen makeover for a couple in the southwest......to die for!!!

anyway He says never fool around with wannabe grills go for for the big guns..

Here is the link to the outdoor kitchen Bobby did in Vegas.....

http://images.foodnetwork.com/webfood/im...lide1.html

When shopping for stainless steel bring a magnet if it sticks keep looking...
Aloha HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

aloha glen....talk about no longevity, I bought a new fridge and coming back recently to check on my property i noticed that the corner and bottom portions had rusted areas and this is 2 miles from the ocean with lots of air circulation...not sure if there are any tricks to keeping appliances or other metal gadgets from rusting - any suggestions from you permanent punawebbers?

noel