Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturday feed no more
The Saturday feed that's has been going on at Hawaiian c.c for 2 1/2 years and served thousand of meals for free has come to a end. There was complaint made to Dept of health. It seems the law change in Feb. even if you are giving away food you have to have a certified kitchen. it would not been so bad if the person who complain really care about food safety but this was totally done for pay back for losing on the farmers market. I hope this person can find joy in there life it must total hell to live your life to hate other people. It seems like you are so full of hate you cant see any body else enjoy there life. The sad part is the people who where feeding had no opinion one way or another about the farmer market. They been feeding 2 years with out it.

jrw
jrw
Maybe "the feed" can be called a "disaster response" now, and thereby get around the reg's due to the "emergency proclamation"? Just a random idea. That is infuriating that it was complained about.
Remember, "rules are for everyone" .... even if silly administrative regulations interfere with the bigger, more important rule about "not letting your fellow humans starve".

I hope the "rule worshippers" are happy with what they've made.
If a church has a certified kitchen within, are they allowed "potluck" suppers? Or if they handed out food in the parking lot are they still exempt? What if you had everything in place, such as hot water, distribution utensil wash station, hand wash station, serving gloves, etc. in place and in use, but oops!, with all this urgency, I forgot the paperwork. Would they " look the other way" the way the building department seems to do? Just questions I have to temporary distract me from the reality of things.

Community begins with Aloha
Would they " look the other way" the way the building department seems to do?

Only if you're in The Clique.
JRW I agree. What a shame this justthefacts person and her friends ruined it for everyone else. She never stopped for the food she just stopped it. Why care about the hunger of others when your belly is full right?
What is Hawaiian c.c?

And just another viewpoint: I got food poisoning this weekend at an event that featured home-cooked food. I guess somebody didn't prep or store their food properly. I'm in pretty good health, and get regular meals, so the food poisoning wasn't too bad--I was up most of one night, and slept much of the next day.

The rules about certified kitchens are to prevent people getting sick. Obviously, they aren't applied evenly--look at all the food vendors along the highways.

So here's a question: is it "good enough" to allow poor people to eat food that may be unsafe? Is it better to be hungry or sick? Lots of people die every year from food-borne illnesses--and it's mostly young, old, and badly-nourished folk.

I don't pretend to have answers, just more questions.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >(>
lee m-s I left part of the name out it is Hawaiian acres community center sorry. There as been over 4000 plates of food serve and there was never one person saying that got sick from the food. You can get bad food at any place it is how it is handle.

jrw
jrw
The rules about certified kitchens are to prevent people getting sick.

I've gotten sick from food made in a "certified" kitchen.

Obviously, they aren't applied evenly--look at all the food vendors along the highways.

Don't assume "along the highway" necessarily means "not certified", some of these vendors have shown me their certificates, and I've never gotten sick from roadside food, only from restaurants.
Yes, to me you do run the higher risk of getting sick from a certified kitchen in a restaurant, as opposed to a homeowners roadside BBQ for the simple fact that a food prep employee would show up sick for work, afraid of losing their job if they didn't, where the roadside stand would just close shop until feeling better. Nobody likes getting food poisoning, so "safe" food practices is pretty much common sense to all of us (no potato salad in the sun, wash your hands, etc.). How many times have you seen a chocolate fountain at a certified food function? I think that is the most unsanitary treat one can consume with all the Keiki fingers and "double dipping", but it's allowed. Strange, isn't it?

Community begins with Aloha