Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Puna's New Access Roads

To be honest I have not been following the development of the Lower Puna access routes very closely.
This my have been covered.
But, I don't see where.

So, as I understand it, RR, Beach and the newly restored portion of CoC over the south-side lava flows, will all be gravel [maybe even dirt] surfaces.
The portion of CoC that presently exists on the Park side, and climbs the mountainside to join 11, is paved, or at least was the last time I drove over it.

If they have to carry the traffic it seems they will need to, RR, Beach and the "new" portion of CoC will, almost within hours, become pot-holed, washboarded nightmares.
Is there a plan to continually re-grade the road surfaces to keep them smooth enough to keep traffic flowing?

The existing paved portion of CoC:
Is it in the plan to upgrade the road surface to carry the loads imposed by the increased traffic including trucks?
If not, it also will very quickly become a pot-holed, washboarded nightmare compounded by the climb.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
I think you can find most of that info over on the 2014 Lava Flow Emergency Forum.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16
Forget I asked the questions.

There are 5 pages of threads in that forum.
As I scan those pages I only see 3 threads that are specifically about access roads.
One has 50 posts.
The second has 79 posts.
The third has 80 posts.
If I don't find the answers in those threads, then I would need to sift through all the other threads scattered throughout the 5 pages.
Sorry, I don't need to know that badly.
I'll figure it out a few months after the alternates go into service.

My questions only require a yes, no or we don't know answer to each of them.
And, I don't want to sift through 5 pages of blather to see if the questions have already been asked and answered.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
I believe the short answer is that "there is no plan for grading or maintanance, or for "keeping the traffic flowing"". Hence the pages and pages of angst.
I do not know about grading.
But, I can tell you this from a local friend whom is a Foreman.
RR is being repaved BTN, the Kahala areas on HB, and HS
RR is ready to go between Nanawale and HPP.
I didn't know it was open from Nanawale.
Just a thought.

punalvr
punalvr
1voyager1,

Those are all very good and straight-forward questions that to the best of my knowledge haven't been addressed here or anywhere else. You're absolutely right that a simple yes, no, maybe so would do. I thank unknownjulie and punalvr for their polite and informative responses. Those of us who depend on those roads would do well to contact the Mayor and make our concerns known. It kind of looks like all the "emergency access" is exactly how you perceive it to be. Who'd a thunk it, the lava flow and all?
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
I think there is a huge disconnect between what the County has in mind for RR, Beaches and CoC in terms of use and what the citizens think the roads should be used for. The County is offering these road options as escape routes out of lower Puna and not everyday commuter roads to be driven on daily. These roads were plowed out once and "poof there's your escape route". I don't think the county has ever said they were going to maintain the roads after the fact or that their intended use was for everyday driving.
But if this eruption continues like Kalapana for the next 20 years...they may become everyday roads (at least Chain of Craters Road will be).
The County is offering these road options as escape routes out of lower Puna and not everyday commuter roads to be driven on daily.

These roads will become de-facto commute routes unless/until the need for commuting is eliminated, either by forced evacuation or by the creation of a new town that meets the needs (including employment) of the people on the Other Side.

"poof there's your escape route". I don't think the county has ever said they were going to maintain the roads after the fact or that their intended use was for everyday driving.

County can't say those things without seriously offending the various landowners who don't want the highway in their backyard. If the reality ends up being that people "demand" a road suitable for daily use, then County can respond to that because it's now the "will of the people".

Rule #1 remains: we don't know where the lava will go, or how long it will take to get there.