Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waa Waa and Gov't Beach Rd Condition
Hi folks!

Just a quick question. Though I now live in Pa'auilo (Hamakua) I nearly bought a house on Gov't Beach Rd in Waa Waa. Just wondering how that road is looking? Best of luck everyone.

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
AKpilot, I posted this on another thread. A 1-minute clip I took driving from HB to HPP a couple weeks ago. Someone posted somewhere that road conditions (road surface) has gotten worse since then. No surprise.

Check it out: http://youtu.be/dBPMA9JNaGk
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Thanks, I was wondering about the section between Honolulu Landing (HB) and 4 corners (Cape Kumakahi). Near Sadelik Rd or Mermaid ponds.

AKpilot

We took the whole length yesterday in our Focus, it was not too bad, some dips with puddles, but given the rain this weekend, no surprise ponds, washboards or mud wallows of yesteryear, with one fairly smooth lava outcrop that was not smoothed down...

One thing we did note was that with power poles the whole length, there were more HELCO hookups in the formerly off-grid area, so some are counting on the power transmission to continue! (and they probably did not have to pay those SSPPs!)
Wow Obie, totally unrecognizable! I would never had guessed that was the part you posted about. Did they chop down all the Mango trees? There are Power lines on Gov't Beach Road now? I had been looking at the funny lookin' 3 story tall white 6 sided house next to/above the Mermaid Ponds (driveway next to the fishing trail, also the trail folks use to get to the Mermaid Ponds)

AKpilot

AKpilot, the section you are referring to, has no poles. Only between Beaches and HPP.

punalvr
punalvr
HELCO was out working on new poles and lines yesterday, extending further....they are a 4 top wire system in the new section...vs. the more normal 3 top wire...
AKpilot, to answer your question, the section from Beaches to 4 Corners going through Waa Waa is currently in average to above average condition for that road. You can manage the speed limit of 20 mph about 70% of the time, slowing to 10 mph or less through scattered patches of potholes.
Wow, really amazing how much things have changed. Someone I know had her truck stolen from Mermaid Ponds a few months ago. Really sad. Hope you guys pull through. It seems that along with the Lava and the Hurricanes; you guys have to deal with more riff-raff. If anyone has any farm animals they need a temp home for, let me know. I can accommodate anything smaller than a Donkey. I hope things get better for poor Puna. Up here Hamakua way, the people I bought my home from didn't even have keys to the house when we closed. I have yet to lock the place since I took possession back in May. No groundskeeper or nothin'. Stay strong Puna! Sending Blessings from Hamakua.

AKpilot

I wonder how many plainclothes police will be posing as hapless commuters? It'd be kinda like shooting fish in a barrel.
Un Mojado Sin Licencia