Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VRBO Insurance
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will sell VRBO insurance, plus hurricane, for Lava Zone 3?

Thank you.

We use Universal North American Insurance Company, with a short term rental rider, but no hurricane insurance, in Lava Zone 3. Jun Kataoka at Finance Insurance in Hilo is who we worked with to arrange for it.
Do you mean travel insurance?
VRBO sells an insurance policy from its site, for coverage on whatever specific rental you choose. It is cheap. I don't know what it covers, just know people recommend always getting it.

Most travel insurance policies will insure you for trip cancellation and delay that meets certain criteria, and medical evacutation, delayed and canceled flights, etc.., but they won't insure for a small time rental to go belly up or otherwise fail on its end. The policies only cover default of listed suppliers, like major hotels. That's where VRBO's own insurance is supposed to help.

AAA sells regular travel insurance policies, if you have it. Otherwise if you type "compare travel insurance plans" into a web search, there are sites that will help you sort it out. I doubt that any travel insurance even knows one lava zone from another.

Jun is my agent too, also with UNAIC, did not realize it had a short term rental rider (will have to check). I trust him, and he's easy to call.

What is it you are specifically wanting to cover, i.e. where might your trip have issues? That makes a difference.

Kathy
Did you mean a company that sells commercial insurance policies? Meaning that they cover your vacation rental property? Is your property actually a legal vacation rental? That might make a very big difference.
Sorry for the confusion.

I am looking for insurance to cover my home which I will be using legally as a vacation rental. I have one quote for vacation rental insurance but I find it is very high and I would like to do some comparative shopping.

Thank you Aki and KathyH for the recommendation, I will call Jun on Monday. I imagine there are only a few companies who do this type of insurance.

You didn't list the details of price, size of home, distance from nearest fire department and fire hydrant,etc., but commercial insurance for what is essentially a hotel, will be much higher than regular homeowners insurance due to the extended liability which exists.