Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geminids meteors on Sat/Sun night
Given the local weather it seems most people won't be able to watch the Geminids this weekend, but if you can get above the cloud the peak time for the mentors is this Sat night/Sun morning (13/14 Dec 2014).

The Geminids is generally the most active meteor shower we see annually, but it's always impossible to predict if you'll only see a couple of meteors or hundreds. Unfortunately, the moon won't help this time round but it's only a half moon, so not the worst case.

Around midnight Saturday, look to roughly the north-east. I think. Just got back from work so a little tired!
Thanks. Weather not looking too bad so far.
Thank you, Mr. Tom! Mo'opuna are ready. Merry Christmas, Sir. [Smile]

JMO.
For anyone interested in the Geminids and meteor showers in general, there's a nice article here:

http://earthsky.org/space/everything-you...eor-shower
PS. Merry Christmas to you and family as well, Opihikao! Unfortunately, Pam is back in the hospital, but will be with her in CA for Christmas. Just don't know if it'll be at the hospital or, hopefully, somewhere a little more pleasant!
Thanks Tom,
Large portions of the sky are clear right now, and I saw several meteors within about 5 minutes, in the northeast sky as you said, right now in the general direction of Orion. One meteor was exceptionally bright, leaving a long trail that took several seconds to fade. Looks like it should be a good show!
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE - was the meteor a little slower than a regular shooting star? If so, you might have seen an Earthgrazer. BTW, if you're seeing plenty of meteors now, this indicates the shower might be a good one. The peak should come an hour or two after midnight.
Eh Tom,

I'll be out with my head tilted back ... mahalohoho

aloha,
pog
Just stepped out for a few minutes. The sky at the zenith is clear and saw several meteors. They came in small spurts but that is normal. Saw one possible Earthgrazer but it was right as I stepped outside so am not sure. Cloud is moving in but hopefully it's temporary.
Never heard of Earthgrazers 'till from you Tom ... For sure I've seen them, actually made me duck down.

aloha,
pog