Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what's another $20M debt?
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...-aa-rating

the County Council is poised Wednesday to add $20 million to the debt to pay for lava-impacted Puna roads.

I might actually have to skip work so I can ask dumb questions at the Council meeting, specifically, if the $20M park project was redirected, why do we need another $20M? Still building that park?

county estimated it cost $3 million to open Government Beach Road ... and to connect Railroad Avenue ... reopening Chain of Craters Road ... could cost between $12 million and $15.5 million

The Finance Director is retiring or has retired already. She seemed to be very capable and she probably saw it was time to retire. It looks like a hellish job. Remember, those are just estimates. The problem of "just do it" is that accounting afterwards can become a nightmare. Also, a lot of the park money had been spent already with architectural and engineering planning and studies, the whole area bulldozed, and who knows how much infrastructure had been started. You need to make your own list with how much was estimated to have been spent before going off on cockamamie fore drawn conclusions. The first won't happen and the second is a given.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
a lot of the park money had been spent already

Perhaps if County were more forthcoming with these details, it wouldn't seem like paying twice.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

a lot of the park money had been spent already

Perhaps if County were more forthcoming with these details, it wouldn't seem like paying twice.
You have district representation in the state house and senate, as well as county council. The financial reports are public information. Your representative will be more than happy to seek this data for you, if you make the effort to ask, which you won't.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I would prefer direct access to the financial reports so I don't have to waste "my" representative's "valuable" time.