Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Geothermal Fined for Violation
Do you all know about this? I saw it on Facebook. Anyway, it is from the accidental release during Iselle.

http://health.hawaii.gov/cab/clean-air-b...loads-pdf/
Since part two of the fine is for a delay in reporting, after a rather significant storm, I imagine that part of the fine can/will be successfully appealed. I would think that they had other, pressing issues to deal with in the 5 days after the storm instead of filing a report.
The third part of the fine, for not maintaining the three monitoring sites, again, after a major storm, is also interesting. Anyone who was here knows that power was out to all of the areas where the monitoring stations are located. That falls upon HELCO, who maintains those lines and power distribution.
How many times does it need to be said?

Heavy industry with it's noise and pollution should be far from residential areas. Cease and desist or go somewhere with enough distance from schools, homes and business.

Solar, wind or hydro electric power is the way to go. Live and tread lightly when you live on an active volcano.
http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/01/big-isl...iolations/

The Puna geothermal plant on the Big Island has been fined $23,700 by the state Department of Health for violations of the Clean Air Act that include uncontrolled releases of hydrogen sulfide during Tropical Storm Iselle.
A faulty pressure release valve caused 39 pounds of hydrogen sulfide to be released into the air over the course of about two hours without first passing through an abatement system, according to a notice of violation issued by the health department on Thursday.
Puna Geothermal Venture could have been fined as much as $25,000 a day for the violations, but the fines were reduced during the negotiation process after issues such as cooperation and the company’s size were taken into account, said Jill Stensrud of the health department’s Clean Air Branch.
Heavy industry with it's noise and pollution should be far from residential areas.

Part of the problem is that these subdivisions are "agricultural" when they should obviously be "residential". Proper zoning would force the issue.
quick question...what %age of homes around the pgv plant were built after the pgv plant came on line?
Remember, there were 2 plants. The original one that was located right along Pohoiki Road and the newer one, that is in operation now, with the entrance off of Kapoho Road.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Since part two of the fine is for a delay in reporting, after a rather significant storm, I imagine that part of the fine can/will be successfully appealed. I would think that they had other, pressing issues to deal with in the 5 days after the storm instead of filing a report.
The third part of the fine, for not maintaining the three monitoring sites, again, after a major storm, is also interesting. Anyone who was here knows that power was out to all of the areas where the monitoring stations are located. That falls upon HELCO, who maintains those lines and power distribution.

I told you so - PGV is all about deception, even with the free generators - loaned ? Or GIVEN.
Lei dude why don't you give us the scoop , since you work for them?
As far as the fine - not likely to have any meaningful penalty assessed. Speaking of Justice, what ever happened with the T Hunt
case?
Originally posted by Frank
quick question...what %age of homes around the pgv plant were built after the pgv plant came on line?

This is not as easy to answer as it might seem:
Bought after HGP-A was drilled in 1976 or began producing electricity in 1982? (HGP-A is immediately nearby as noted above)
Bought after PGV drilling "blow-out" in 1991, or after going online in 1993?

What is "around" the plant? Within 3400 ft? 1 mile? Only in a "down-wind" direction?

Not trying to nit-pick, simply trying to clarify. With some more details, some of us may be able to answer the question.
quote:
Originally posted by Frank

Over 500 people moved to Leilani between 2000 and 2010, about 50% increase, all new construction.