Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia posts/ woodworking
Ohia is such a beautiful resource that our aina offers. When an ohia dies off on my property I use it. Even though the leaves won't grow and the beautiful lehua won't blossom on it anymore I still find a way to enjoy it's beauty for years to come. I make posts with them for fencing or construction. They last much longer than guava and when debarked and treated they go the extra mile. My question is: how do you keep the large ohia posts from cracking on its ends while it dries out?
Paint the ends; I use surplus latex paint from the transfer station.
Cool thanks I'll try that. Just latex paint or any type?
What does the grain of Ohia look like? Can it be milled into dimensional lumber, used to make furniture, etc? Koa wood is beautiful when finished, wonder what Ohia looks like.
It's a dark brownish sometimes brick color. It can be milled. I've used it in some of my woodworking projects as an inlay on one of my cajon drums I make.
Any paint will do, but latex is probably best, it coats the surface instead of trying to penetrate.

Ohia can be milled, but this will bring out one feature at the cost of another, and it takes a large tree to make something useful. I've been notching it to fit dimensional lumber, leaving the poles round, finished with oil instead of a urethane or varnish.