Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Architectural works of art in Puna
I have seen nearly every home over the years in Puna, and traveled far and wide. There appears in my book no place with a greater diversity of homes than Puna.

From the wealthy to the humble, homes in Puna help define our unique area. I want to compile a list of top 50 homes in Puna.

I will admit three things,

I think I own one, I can't remember each exactly, these are my personal taste. To comment or nominate a new home, please refer to numbers and provide details like name of architects and builder.

Homes should incorporate elements like:

Local building materials like Lava rock and Ohia
Bring into the home landscapes of the area.
Traditional Hawaiian themes.

Items that help make it unique.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
#1 Robert Tricki home

On the day the New York Times announced the winning design of the new Freedom Tower to replace the World Trade Center something odd occurred. Yes it made page one. Yes there was a picture. However, directly above was an article and larger photograph of Robert Tricki's home in Puna.

This home was the first of at least 4 homes in Puna Beach Palisades designed by California architect and part time Puna resident Craig Steely.

His other 3 homes, one has own, will be described separately.

Tricki's home was built right up against a 1955 lava flow and it is that flow that is the most remarkable aspect of the home. Care was taken during construction to prevent any damage to the slow growing lichen and Ohia trees. As a result just inches away from the lava flow, floor to ceiling windows bring this landscape into the home. A landscape that has a stunning beauty of its own in muted grays and dusty greens accent by Ohia blossoms.

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
#1 Robert Tricki home
http://craigsteely.com/projects/lavaflow...ckey_house
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
[:0] Wow! Very contemporary and quite pretty!

JMO.

It is currently on the market if you have $1,650,000 extra lying around.

Not exactly the home of an average Puna family. I have seen some incredible hand made houses here, that did not have an "architect" but were instead built by the people who were going to live in them with painstaking love and care.
#2 The ..... Concrete Home

Perched on the cliff in Kehena Beach Estates there is another home that has already drawn national acclaim.
Concrete home of the year.

This home is made of almost 100% poured concrete in the form of a cylinder with large round winds.

Steel stairs join floors that are barely large enough to accommodate a single small bedroom.

Crapped one would think, however the landscape is a panorama of endless seas and a black sand beach.

The outdoor shower is so inviting and so exposed that every naturist in the world could resist it.

Plug into Google

"concrete home""Kehena beach" clif

go to images
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

#1 Robert Tricki home
http://craigsteely.com/projects/lavaflow...ckey_house

I was just looking at that one on bigislandreale.com the other day. It was so far out of the price range of any of the neighbouring property I had to take a look.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
#3 The Cottage of Nanavale

A replica of the mining community cottage homes of Northern Wisconsin found Puna. It is complete with the required 4 wooden stairs and porch in high gloss white.

However, unlike Wisconsin cottages, that are all white, a touch of classic Hawaii ties it to Puna. The walls are green and trim in soft yellow. The white entry against a green wall seems more like the whites found at the hoof of a horse.

Something odd happens when you enter this home.

It speaks.

It draws you in and you hear a voice saying I could be happy here in this tiny home, surrounded by trees.

The only thing wrong with the home is it is lonely. It is the home that cries. Someone told it about that Wisconsin town with 5 historic cottages in a row, and how before telephones communication protocol was P2P. Porch to porch.
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
quote:
Originally posted by pbmaise

#2 The ..... Concrete Home

Perched on the cliff in Kehena Beach Estates there is another home that has already drawn national acclaim.

This home is made of almost 100% poured concrete in the form of a cylinder with large round winds.

Steel stairs join floors that are barely large enough to accommodate a single small bedroom.

Crapped one would think, however the landscape is a panorama of endless seas and a black sand beach.

The outdoor shower is so inviting and so exposed that every naturist in the world could resist it.

Do you understand the reaction that occurs when salt and steel meet !!

I nominate the sub 200 CUBIC, home that is on top of a wagon here in town ... Comes complete with roll out "deck" mats+ chairs and a dog.

aloha,
pog who misses the simplicity of a Bus (VW) life.