Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anybody ever shipped a car from HNL
I'm shipping a car to the BI from HNL. I think I have everything in order though I'm waiting for insurance cards to come in the mail. If you have shipped a car to the BI from HNL on Young Brothers, do you have any insights to share? I'm expecting the unexpected, but I would rather avoid surprises if I can.
Young brothers was pretty competent on the overall, but the wait for inspection at drop off was horrendous. There was over an hour with no one in the office and all the patrons were chatting wondering if we should venture out and seek out an employee... I eventually had to track someone down who looked like they worked there and informed them no one was at the inspection office. I was helped promptly after finding this individual and everything went smooth from there!

Stay to the left as you enter the right is for freight and you need a photo id to enter/exit the port and the young brothers building is just to the right of the entrance though obscured by stacks of shipping containers.
Getting in and out of the port area was otherwise quite easy / hassle free. Best of luck.
Thanks for the input. Pasha is taking the car to the drop off point and dealing with the inspection so I don't have to worry about that.
I recall yb let you pack stuff in the car and list it on a manifest. My experience was just cruise- everything was there. Only thing had oxidation on the keyhole for the front door lock. I was happy nothing was missing.
Dont stop at Mc Donald's on the way, pull the egg out of Egg Mc Muffin, throw it in the bag, and forgot to dump the bag when you get to Young Bros. I did, and 4 days in hot sun inside car and 7 different cleaning products to get egg smell out...

okay that said, it was pretty easy for me. I pulled up to staging area on Oahu, were signs everywhere pointing the direction.

I had all the paperwork on hand ready to go, and had duplicate copies JIC, took me about 1/2 hr . Took me about 1/2 hr to pick up in Hilo.

My experience was it couldn't have been any simpler but only one car in line ahead of me at Young Bros Honolulu dock. I also dropped it off a couple of days ahead of sailing schedule to Hilo since I had a car to use on the Hilo side. . I would think last minute would be busier.

I shipped a Ford van over and was shocked to find out the shipping cost doubled. The reason given was the van did not have a side window and was therefore a different class of vehicle than a van with a side window.

I was stumped and pissed off.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I would caution to look the car over very carefully and (photo) document everything before shipping and then do it again at pick up. One car, they had backed into a curb and crushed the end of the exhaust pipe - had I driven it home like that, I would have trashed the engine. Another car, when it got in, I inspected the undercarriage and it had been scraped to hell - because I didn't/couldn't document the condition of the undercarriage at drop off, it was pretty much TS.
I also shipped a ton of stuff inside the car like tools, bicycle, clothes, etc. it was all there when I picked up.

As I recall they are cool as long as your "stuff" is below the window line. When asking at the office of anything ever goes missing (and I quote) "why would anyone sacrifice a $200,000 a year job to steal some junk?"

It saved me a bundle to ship things in the car rather than through the mail.
The last time we shipped a truck over from Honoruru ,on YB was a few short years ago.
Our insurance was $105.00 for the ten day time slot.
Had the truck full load of tools and equipment and documented everything with photo's,video and cam.
4 days later - in the port of hilo.Nary a scratch or anything swiped.
Piece of cake.
you can put stuff in your car but nothing in the front seat/passenger seat that must remain clear . don't block the windows and make sure you close all the windows cars are not always under cover . check your vehicle over before dropping for damage and upon pick up . never had a problem I ship my car back and forth from BI to HNL often . it is cheaper and better then renting and it is always loaded with cargo ,if you ship and return ship within 30 days the return is half price . SHIP NOW because if a strike kicks in young brothers will not cross the matson guys picket line, nothing will move .also avoid holiday shipping it way more busy. and Don't go there on Monday it is the worst day extremely busy. I usually drop my car Wednesday or first thing Thursday morning . I am able to pick up in HNL Monday morning . Honolulu is a longer wait for drop off and pick up .