Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study on establishing a harbor / Port Kapoho Bay
HB374
Initially I am against this (not the study, but actually building it) because of what I foresee as many negative impacts on the biosphere - however I think we should do here, what PT does best , and that is to discuss this - thoughts?

Sounds expensive.

What's wrong with the harbor in Hilo? I don't necessarily like the harbor being smack dab between the bay and all the swimming 'parks' ...onekahakaha, Carl smith, Richardson, etc.

If there was to be a new harbor how about in the area west of the airport or even farther down south like around panewa.

I don't think there is a legitimate need or demand for a harbor in lower puna given the gigantic cost to build such. There is no industry there and little to no agriculture. A few papaya farms and some cut flowers don't need access to their own port.

A few tourists and residents but same again not enough to justify having a ferry terminal.

I think this would be a catastrophic waste of money when you compare the benefits that could be realized with the same funding for roads, public libraries, enhancing school systems (maybe giving teachers higher salaries and attracting better teachers and better administrators to institute better curriculums).

Just some initial thoughts off the cuff.

Since the 1960 EQ in which lowered the whole coast line from Hawaiian Paradise Park / Shipman estate and beach to past kalapana but mostly Kapoho area,the whole coast is subsiding at a rate of approx 4 inch's a year.
The surf break that one now observes in kapoho used to be a cliff face that was approx 120 feet sheer , prior to 1930.
So to install a habour or port there is a hair brained idea but study after study insures job creation for most likely a mainland firm.
Look between the lines and see who sponsored this legislation and also see if they are contributors to this persons campaigns for running for public office OR are in any way shape or form,investors in same companies .
Mrs.Mimosa
The entire bill can be read here:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session201...HB374_.HTM
1. No guarantee that it would end up being on "the other side" of the lava flow.

2. NIMBYs will never allow it.

3. Would require a public road, which would probably take some eminent domain action.

The property at the back of Kapoho Bay is assessed by the county at being worth nearly two million dollars.There also a restored ancient Hawaiian fish pond there.
I don't think the owner would give that up without a heck of a fight.

The newly elected Representative maybe should have looked around down in Kapoho before introducing this bill !
This bill was sponsored by Joy San Buenaventura along with six other representatives. It is probably an ill-conceived effort at potential lava flow isolation mitigation. My guess is that they are looking at a ferry-type or small boat harbor as opposed to a full-on deepwater port like Hilo, but it is still pretty radical to propose dredging out a harbor in an environmentally sensitive place such as Kapoho Bay. Do these people think through their proposals? My guess is that this is a "feel-good" measure designed not to get anything built, but to give the voters the impression that the legislators are working hard to get something for Puna. Significantly, the link provided by dakine shows a document with blanks for the amount of money to be spent and for who introduced the bill. More fluff from out politicians, if you ask me.
Do these people think through their proposals?

No; implementation is a matter for the courts to decide.
Every Hawaiian island is sinking. Lava crossing North of rift stands to cut off the highest number of residents and Kapoho would be south of such a flow by scope of intent. IMO, the natural Kapoho bay should be left alone. If a passenger and cargo port is necessary, it should be excavated from behind the point centered about the end of the light house road where a well protected water port can be established and well protected swimming areas can be provided for public use. It would enhance the marine environment in the area and become a greater asset to the community than it currently exists.
Seems like one branch is trying to preserve the bay & has studies out for that, while another is being asked to industrialize the bay....
DLNR restoration plan for the Loko Kuapa (Kapoho Fishpond) that incorporates parts of the bay:
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/chair/meeting/sub...als-K7.pdf

If REP FROM SEN JOY BEUNAVENTURA WILL ANSWER:
Did anyone in your office check with DLNR first, before requesting the DOT study funds?
I do hope that no additional money is spent on a study that may have GINORMMOUS cultural impact potential...wiping out a known fishpond area with a port is most likely a BIG NO-NO!
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...l-package/