Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syngenta layoffs on Kauai
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/sta...yees-kauai

FTFA: moving certain activities to lower-cost locations

For some reason I read this as "less-regulated locations"... maybe the anti-GMO bills and lawsuits are "working", just not as intended?
When all the GMOs are banned the GMO jobs will go away, but the same petrochemical companies will need to hire more people to increase their production of insecticides, rodenticides, and fertilizers needed to raise the non-GMO crops. Of course, all those chemicals will drain off of AG lands and into water supplies and cause cancer and autism to humans and destroy the marine ecosystem and cause female fish to turn into males. But hey... a big win right? Remember, vaccines and GMOs are bad; chemicals, dead reefs, and higher food prices are good.

ETA: italics
Ey terracore, it's organic, don't panic.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/sta...yees-kauai

FTFA: moving certain activities to lower-cost locations

For some reason I read this as "less-regulated locations"... maybe the anti-GMO bills and lawsuits are "working", just not as intended?

Dude, your posts have to be flame bait or you have some twisted view of everything you read. It says in the article
"companywide effort to cut $1 billion in costs by 2018". They went from nothing, less than 10 years ago to a multinational global corporation. They are just doing an across the board layoff. Almost everywhere is a lower cost location than Hawaii. How you squeezed anti-GMO and conspiracy out of that is effed up.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Almost everywhere is a lower cost location than Hawaii. How you squeezed anti-GMO and conspiracy out of that is effed up.

Corporations maintain profitability by mitigating "business risk".

The "risk" (legal, monetary, or public perception) of a protracted GMO lawsuit has apparently exceeded the "value" of hosting operations on Kauai.

No "conspiracy" is necessary to explain a simple "business decision".

It's also a perfect example for the anti-GMO movement: if you create a hostile environment that drives business away, they will take their jobs and money with them.

In many ways it's just like the anti-geothermal crowd, who wants everything shut down, but seemingly can't offer any useful alternatives.
23 employees, eh? Oh man, the economic ripple effect is going to be tremendous. Brace yourself. ;p

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...=195049531

I don't think they're pulling out of Kauai entirely. This is part of across the board cutbacks the way I read the article.
FWIW,

Syngenta is hiring for positions in Hawaii

Most lab work is sent via plane to land on the mainland - it's cheaper than setting up a lab out here

There are some small very basic labs that don't require expensive upkeep

Biotech companies in Hawaii farm seed for farmers elsewhere because of the year round growing season

This means the value of Hawaii is in the field not in a lab - there aren't crazy lab experiments going on - the advanced equipment like robotics equipped labs are on the mainland
the value of Hawaii is in the field not in a lab

Does that mean the lost jobs are low-paying fieldwork rather than well-paid high-tech?

Even less reason to be concerned, right?