Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which store has the best food prices?
I'm an avid food shopper and try to get the best value on food that I can find here in Hilo every week without lowering my standard of quality. It's a challenge considering our options. But I've come to some conclusions.

1) Target has the best food prices overall including pet food (although their selection is limited) This includes meat, dairy, and canned goods

2) KTA has the best prices on "fresh" produce and seafood.

3) Safeway has the highest prices on just about everything (with the exception of $5.00 Friday items). But they also have the best overall selection.

4) Longs has the best alcohol prices hands down but limited selection. Longs also occasionally has good buys on select items like spam, tuna, butter and bacon to name a few.
5) The farmers market in my opinion isn't the place to go for fresh produce anymore. Their prices are equal to or higher than dept store produce and in many instances their produce isn't home grown.

6) I can't say anything good about Foodland. Their prices are almost as high as Safeway and selection is a bit smaller than Safeway. Once in a while they have a great price on an item or two to get you into the store but to get any value you have to buy just those items and leave.

7) Costco has some excellent prices and selection for food but when you add the cost of driving there and the yearly membership fee...the value isn't there for me. But non perishable things like paper products, alcohol, etc when bought in bulk can save you money.

I'd like to hear what others have to say! I'm always open to learning about getting the most for your food dollar buck!
BTW... Has anyone noticed that Lay's potato chip bags are now smaller but the price is still the same? I guess it's the new way to increase prices by lowering the volume.
Amazon with a Prime account will save you a surprising amount of money, plus no trips to Hilo are involved.
Gotta be KTA all around in my opinion.

However, Malama in Pahoa had a great selection of wine before they closed...have to see how that turns out when they reopen.

I know I'll get some love for this tidbit but can't leave out island naturals...not exactly the best prices but for a few products they are the only choice and I generally find the "all natural / organic" stuff is cheaper at the natural food stores than the big supermarkets.
I would just like to add a couple comments. I have found, by far, the best prices on produce at the Pahoa Farmer's Market. Sunday mornings, behind Luquin's. The vendors in Kea'au are also reasonable.
Cost U Less is another option with reasonable prices on a number of items. Kau coffee for about $20 a pound vs. $35 or more everywhere else.
To get the best price you have to go to all of them and only get the sale items in each place
you have to go to all of them

Great strategy if your time is free and you don't mind burning your "savings" at the gas station.
i follow Seeb's strategy, more or less (typically 2 or 3 stops). yeah, it can be a drag of a time burn, but if all in one fell swoop while in town the fuel issue is not an issue.
Second that PunaMauka2 - one day a week for all Hilo errands, keep a separate shopping list for each place and an eye out for specials. Find something fun to do to save everyone's sanity and then get the hell out of Dodge.

Maku'u on Sundays for almost all veggies - still the best mix of price and selection for us. Plus kids get to pick out a locally baked treat if they help do the shopping. Azuki taiyaki onigaishimasu!

Costco run once every several weeks and make time to enjoy some Kona sun, summit snows, Ka'u turtles, or Waimea park, etc...

Overall, not very time efficient, but saves some money and provides some entertainment options outside of Puna.

EDIT: Agree with the OP's summary, except Maku'u IMHO
"..and then get the hell out of Dodge"

as much as i love our Hilo town, i must admit this is exactly how i feel by the end of that day of the week. good to get back to Puna.