Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cost of living in Hawaii
With $100.00 a barrel oil prices on the horizon...it looks like gasoline prices in Hawaii may see $4.00 a gallon at the pumps by January! Along with that...our electric rates will be climbing and Matson just announced another price hike for items shipped into the state and another price hike set for January 1.

On the bright side....interisland travel is still a bargain. Go airlines just announced another fare war of $29.00 each way through January 31st (plenty of seats available). Aloha reluctantly matched it (although seats are extremely hard to find). Hawaiian has not of yet matched it.

Question: With the cost of living in Hawaii going up drastically in the next few months...I wonder if salaries will follow?

It will be "trickle down ecomonics" what trickles down will be yellow and we will be the pee ons !

Ur ! that's economics

the gas i'm used to however, the food prices have really jumped this year

Hawaii is the most oil dependent state in the country even though it is abundant with sunshine, wind, geothermal energy and the ability to grow food year round. In fact, between South Point and Upolu Point in Hawi the Big Island is considered the best location for wind energy in the world. Hawaii has the greatest capability to be self-sufficient, but instead is now the most vulnerable.

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=7350428

Warning signs:

http://www.fcnp.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2089&Itemid=35

Edited by - Tahunatics on 11/15/2007 07:29:12
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
The only way to live is by example. If we all start doing our part here to help promote healthier living and fair wages, the rest of the world will eventually follow suit. It might take years, or decades, but it will happen.

"How do you know i am mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the cat "or you wouldnt have come here."