Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito Control & Mosquito-borne Disease
If folks with experiences and insights regarding mosquito control and mosquito-borne disease on the Big Island in general and for Puna specifically would care to share their knowledge and experience then the favor would be genuinely appreciated. Some general topics regarding mosquitoes and mosquito-borne disease include:

Mosquito populations and dynamics (the species present and factors affecting seasonal densities).

Mosquito population control strategies (which strategies are currently actively in use and have been tried in the past, with what results?)

Mosquito-repellent strategies (efficacy and impacts; bio-friendly versus persistently toxic).

Mosquito-borne disease (present and not as yet present but being actively watched for, should such arrive).

Mosquito ecology (how do mosquitoes fit in the local plant and animal food webs and how does their presence, absence, or fluctuation in number affect other species?)

Economic aspects (costs of control efforts and costs when control efforts fail).

Some specific questions I have wondered about are:

Is it true clearing a sunlit open space completely around one's home greatly reduces the number of mosquitoes which find their way in (and, if so, then how wide a space need the clearing be in order to serve effectively as a mosquito barrier)?

I have heard that electrical mosquito-zappers wreak indiscriminate havoc across a wide range of insect species, creating unnecessary and unhelpful carnage. Is this the experience in Puna?

Does anyone have practical firsthand experience with any of the various devices which bait in mosquitoes (using pheromones, carbon dioxide, &/or vibrations) and then flame them with a propane burner or dehydrate them in a holding chamber? Some of these units claim to be able to clear large areas of mosquitoes.

Are stocks of mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) already permitted and available in Hawaii for placement in fresh surface water (such as ornamental ponds)?

Are mosquito-repellent impregnated bed-nettings available and in wide use for nighttime protection against bites on the the Big Island?

The military and others widely used DDT throughout the WWII and postwar eras with the result some populations became chemical resistant; are Big Island mosquito populations known to be chemical-resistant? Do any government agencies currently fog or spray insecticides? Oil surface waters (to suffocate mosquito larvae)? Do many private landowners fog for mosquitoes with chemical?

Are Bt bacteria (Bacillus thuringiensis), which attack mosquito larvae while theoretically posing no threat to any other life form, already in use and available on the Big Island?

Does anyone know if coiqui frogs eat mosquitoes? Which animals native to Hawaii do eat mosquitoes?

Which mosquito-borne human, animal, and plant diseases are known to already be present on the Big Island? For example are chikungunya virus (also called knuckle fever), equine encephalitis, dengue fever, malaria, West Nile virus, or yellow fever present and observed as being actively communicated?

Finally, an article in Science News (week of Oct. 27, 2007; Vol. 172, No. 17 , p. 270) titled "'Knuckle fever' reaches Italy" indicates an emergent mosquito-borne disease may be en route to a Hawaiian destination. Science News health editor Brian Vastag quotes CDC epidemiologist Robert Breiman, who is stationed in Africa studying the spread of chikungunya virus. From the article: Once the virus is established in an area, "it's almost impossible to escape," ...French authorities reported 266,000 cases on Reunion Island, off Madagascar. There, health officials attributed 255 deaths to chikungunya, although the virus' lethality is debated. People almost never die from it, says Breiman, "although they wish they had." The crippling symptoms often clear up in a few weeks, but can sometimes linger for months. First identified in the 1950s, chikungunya means "stooped over in pain" in an African dialect. The illness used to be called knuckle fever, a reference to the swollen joints it can cause. Mosquito control is the best way to limit outbreaks, says Breiman, but "traditionally, that has been very hard to implement." Although epidemiologists have not established exactly how the disease spread so widely, Breiman says that it's likely that people infected in one area traveled to another, and then were bitten by local mosquitoes that continued the chain. Breiman says "the question now is will it continue to spread to other places that have" the right type of mosquito. "And I would think that is likely."

My personal experience in Southeast Asia with dengue fever (also known as "break bone fever" for the extreme joint pain it inflicts) and direct observation of others coping with malaria leads me to think prevention efforts are very much worth the bother, though of course we must strive to avoid cascades of unintended consequences (as with DDT) as much as possible.

Comments?

Edited by - AlaskaSteven on 11/19/2007 08:23:43
)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
Aloha!

This is a serious subject that I have no clue about for answers, but others do Steven. When I read your post, I wondered if you were into research of mosquito's. The questions are so well thought out and concise, I thought wow who can answer this?!!! Way big bite for me, like chewing something that gets bigger and bigger as you chew. But hold on here someone will tune in soon with the scoop I'm sure! Good luck.

Oh one item I have read about in the past are that there are bouts of Dengue fever on island, isolated however in population and geography, but not sure what areas, as people don't seem to be alarmed about the few cases.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Nothing stops mosquitos except drought and screens.

Thanks for the comment, Mella l.

My interest stems from the combination of having seen/experienced harsh mosquito-borne diseases firsthand while living in SE Asia and South America, plus owning 20 acres in Puna and being in the midst of construction planning and suchlike to move over and reside there (Pele willing) in a year or so.

I doubt there is any one or two people who could answer all of these questions, unless perhaps there is a team of epidemiological researchers or wise old elders steeped in traditional ecological knowledge who have been focusing on mosquitoes and mosquito-borne disease for a long time. What may be possible, though, I hope, is if many different people who each have had some specific experiences which bear on parts of the questions can report those in and share the information, then a pool of useful insights may eventually be gathered together.

Someone probably has seen local animals eating mosquitoes (or found mosquitoes in stomach content analyses). Someone has probably used one of those propane mosquito-killers which claim to clear five acres, or an electric bug-zapper. Maybe someone has discovered certain insect repellents are ineffective against the local mosquitoes, or conversely very effective. Anyone who has a belt clear of trees and shrubs surrounding their house might be able to comment of how effective or ineffective that technique is in reducing bites. And so on. This would all be interesting to read if people will share their experiences.

Likewise, if we are talking amongst ourselves and so know how to recognize potential emergent diseases such as chikungunya virus (knuckle fever) if --or when-- it comes over from Italy or Africa --not that there are ever any visitors to Hawaii from those places or that any Hawaiians ever visit Italy or Africa either Wink -- then with quick action perhaps knuckle fever may be swiftly diagnosed when it first appears and the mosquito vectors knocked out, pronto, before the virus can become established locally. There have been some real success stories in fighting mosquito-borne disease with quick and effective community-wide action.

My other motivation in asking these questions is I do not want to blunder and make heavy-handed newbie mistakes out of ignorance as I prep the house site on the 20 acres. For instance, clearing trees from around the house is not something I am enthusiastic about doing unless there is some real evidence based in local experience suggesting it would be prudent to do so.

While anything can (and probably will) happen in the years and decades to come, stepping back and trying to look at the big picture with climate shift, changes in patterns of temperature, rainfall, sealevel, and so on all suggests to my crystal ball that tropical mosquito-borne diseases are increasingly likely to become even more significant as problem issues in times ahead, so learning and prepping as best a community can will probably pay big returns farther down the road. Effective prevention beforehand is so much better and less expensive than treatment and cure after the fact.

AlaskaSteven

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

Aloha AlaskaSteven...

My small experience in Mountain View is that we have very few mosquitoes around, even tho it is very wet here. We also (at least in my particular neighborhood/street) have very few coqui frogs. So I don't think it's the coqui's keeping the mosquitoes in check. We are just building our house, and didn't want to clear-cut the lot, but do have some space around the house. Also, we are up 8 feet off the ground on post and pier, so have more of the tradewinds (which may mean fewer mosquitoes). I have noticed that few houses here have "screen rooms" which are common on the mainland. I don't know why that is, except that many places don't seem to have a huge population of mosquitoes?? Maybe someone else can comment on that, as I find it curious. We may end up screening in part of our lanai so that we can sleep outside, but otherwise, so far, we aren't seriously bothered. Have you checked to see if there is an entymologist at UH-Hilo that could answer some of your questions? I'm sure we'd all be interested in the answers.

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.
LMAO and I was gonna quit, lol
Steve aloha
this is too easy, while yes the fish pond next to my lani keeps mosquitoes to a minimum anyone who's been here long enough, knows they only like suck on tourists and new blood, After about 3 years they won't bother you at all. I'm not a epidemiological researcher, but guy if you clear your 20 acres pin to pin, (which would suck) the ones from the 20 acres next to you will be stopping by at pu pu time. Don't over think it. I mean they ain't the size of the humming bird-chicken-size ones you got up there.
great post!

Mosiquitoes are a fairly new addition, coming to the islands in the mid 1850's, so are not a part of the native food web.
A good site to look at is:
http://www.hawaiiconservation.org/_libra...quitos.pdf
Mosquitoes have been found in the stomachs of most insectivores on island, including the unpopular cane toads & coquis, but also in the aneole, geckos, dragonflies, spiders preying mantis & others. Hoary bats will, infrequently, feed on mosquitos, but mostly on larger prey. There are insectivore creepers, but not much data on mosquitos being eaten by them.
Mosquitos are the vector for avian pox & avian malaria here, and one of the main causes for lower elevation bird deaths and one of the main reasons many of the endemic birds are now endangered on the islands.
West Nile Virus is now on the radar, no cases here, yet.
The main way to reduce the mosquito population is eliminate standing water. Plants (esp. bromiliad types), pots, pans, cups, old tires, puddling catchment covers, derilict cars & rubbish can all be excellant breeding areas. Feral pigs & cows create rut holes that are filled with larvae. The natural landscape here has many great larvae growing areas, with lava pukas & such. Add all the mess we add & these are very happy buggers.
Topminnows have been utilized in some pond areas, but can spread into streams & such, so be very careful with these guys if you are anywhere near a natural water body.
In a few of the towns there are BTI dunks & insecticide bricks added to some of the drywells... but no wide ranging programs.
Have heard that the octanol attractant in the propane killers is not as attractive to the Hawaiian mosquito, but have no firm data on this.
On the mainland I was a biology intern for a mosquito abatement group. Some of our highest light trap mosquito counts were traps set up on buildings with the electric zappers (of course there were natural reasons why, such as wetlands near by & such, but these routinely had more, even when all variables were equalled out. They do kill any insect that flys into the electrified grid & the light attracts mosquitos at nights, so it seems that they may attract more mosquitos to teh area around the zapper!
Jack Jeffries at Hakalau is an excellent resource on these little buggers if you want more info.(plus he has one of the best photo collection I have ever seen)

there you go, here we are

I'm pretty sure the last reported case of dengue was in someone who had contracted it elsewhere, then flew to Hawaii. My neighbors bought one of the propane repellent units and a couple months later asked if I wanted it, said it was usless. I don't think the coqui actually eat any mosquitoes. The frogs don't like water and are nocturnal & the mosquitos disappear about dusk.

Edited by - leilaniguy on 11/17/2007 00:39:07
Depends on physiology maybe too.

My wife and i use the same soaps/shampoos/laundry detergents, eat the same foods and yet if we end up talking to our neighbors one day ( standing still ) I might get one or two or three on my arm or ankle but my wife will get 'killed' by them at a ratio of at least 4 for every one of mine. baby ( two ) is closer to me and he is a little lower even.

I work standing almost stationary sometimes outside and have noticed even a day to day variance in both numbers AND agressiveness in the same location.

Currently conducting my own trial on repellents.

Our house is 8' feet up but they are inside if you leave the door open.

For sure if you have open space there are less than say the Waiwi choked woods .....

A quick mental survey seems to have them a little more agressive if its been dry for a day or two. #s about the same.
Agressive = will fly right into your eye instead of flitting about first .... even sound is different ....

We have a little catchment system for watering inside a small greenhouse ...... The 'tank' ( Ace plastic laundry thing ) sit uncovered, outside 24/7 and has never had any larvae in it.