Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
county inspectors used for harassment
The building inspectors came tuesday. All three of them, electric, plumbing and building. Not for the community center…..for my cabin!! Apparently they received a complaint!! That i am living in an ‘unpermitted structure’.
So picture this. There i am getting ready for the opening of the university art show (i won an award), just finished putting on all my ‘going out special’ make-up on, but i’m still in my bath robe. Three white vans pull up opposite my gate and sit there. My dogs go crazy barking and jumping and i shout at them trying to calm them down but no way, so i go out side in my robe and shout ‘hello, can i help you?’ it transpires that they are all there to inspect my property. i do actually have current building permits for my property and the property has been built to code, I refused to give them permission, and told them all to ‘bugger off’, but caught between proving that i had nothing to hide, and facing down all three men (remember i am in full make-up and a bathrobe, and must look like a total nutter, and its 10am), i agreed to allow the building inspector to see that the cabin was indeed sound and followed all the building requirements. He asked a couple of questions, and seemed satisfied, and i then expected them all to leave, but they didn't. they just sat outside my house (with my dogs still going crazy).
So i went back out side and shouted at them all some more, asked to have the name of their manager and eventually allowed the ‘plumbing inspector' access to the toilet. I also have a permitted cess-pit, so simply showed him the finished bathroom. I flushed it to show that it was connected to a solar powered water pump. He looked all around and when i questioned what he was looking FOR he said that there didn't appear to be a ‘vent pipe’. I showed him the vent pipe, and he then said he couldn't tell if it was the correct diameter! I told him to leave! I continued to refuse entry to the electrician, on the grounds that I HAVE NO ELECTRIC!! He tried to tell me that even my soar panels count and that i need a permit and inspection for the wiring from them. once again i asked all to leave. They continued to sit outside my home for at least another ten minutes – all the time listening to my dogs barking furiously, and me trying (unsuccessfully) to quieten them.
So – my questions are:
1) how does that happen? You cannot get an inspector round to inspect things for months because they are so backed up. NEVER do you get all three together. There is no way this is an ordinary response to a complaint. So how does one arrange that sort of intimidation?
2) they could see from the road that my ‘structure’ was neither derelict or unsound. Why did they continue to harass me, when it must have been immediately obvious that this was yet another frivolous complaint??
3) what if it hadn’t been built ‘to code’? what if i was living in a tent or a tin shack? What if i had kids? Since when did have we building covenants and restrictions in the acres? What are these people’s powers and what are the possible consequences for failing or refusing?
4) isn’t this the very definition of harassment and selective enforcement? How do i deal with that? how do i protect my family and home from further harassment?

Despite the fact that i called warren lee (the director of the public works) immediately and requested a return call from him at his earliest convenience, he did not return my call. i spent yesterday on the phone to various people and eventually spoke to mr lee around 3:30. i have asked for the following.
1) a copy of the complaint, 2) an explanation on how this was organized 3) the consequences if i had been living in a tin shack.
i have made another phone appointment with him for 11:30. i spoke to our current attourney, and was advised that they unable to help me out-side of their current purview. however they gave the name of another.
it is possible that there are enough people to initiate a class action suit.......so if anyone has any experience of being harassed as a result of their association with the Hawaiian Acres, please message me. your replies will be strictly confidential. additionally if any one has any experiences at all with the county inspectors, please message me.

if anyone has any advice at all on the best way of dealing with this, either personally or as a community, please share.

#10048;
#10048;
Thats kind of their job I don't know why you see it as harassment. I feel like the word you are looking for in inconvenience.

You ask why they are 'harassing' you and then at the end of your post posit:
so if anyone has any experience of being harassed as a result of their association with the Hawaiian Acres, please message me

So, don't take my words as an attack on you - I feel you - that whole experience must have sucked.

BUT,

How about you tell us:

A. Why do you think this had anything to do with your association with Hawaiian Acres?
and
B. Who did you piss off recently?
If what you type is absolute truth, I am appalled as a retired Building Inspector that they behaved in this manner. First, the use of a van is ridiculous. The best I ever had was a Ford 150 pickup, and I was a senior inspector. What a waste of resources.
Then, why all three? If you have a current open Building Permit, they have a right to stop by if you scheduled an inspection, and the appropriate inspector will arrive. If your permits are final and closed, and a complaint comes in, a Code Enforcement Officer, or Building Inspector will arrive to investigate the complaint. If they are smart, they will look up permit records before they go out to investigate. On investigation, they have to explain the nature of complaint to the owner, and ask permission to validate by observation both sides of the complaint to be able to close the case with the appropriate action if needed. Of course all should have proper identification issued by the County describing their duty, as such, and left you a copy of their investigation and compliance requests, if needed.
Look into the actual truth to see if any misfeasance, malfeasance and the other "feasance" brother that slips my mind now, to see if you have a solid complaint/case against the Building Department if you wish to pursue legal action. But if you explain the clear violations they chose to take to the Building Official on the legal aspect his team put the department in you should get resolution.
BTW- a photovoltaic, or solar electrical system is required to have a permit if tied into your home. It is covered in the National Electrical Code that Building Departments use. Most common violation is the bonding of all metal components, including metal roof panels back to the main panel to create a solid ground path for short circuits, and the improper sizing of the conductors(wire) from inverter to main panel, and the connection means inside the main panel.
Best of luck in this crazy investigation, and hope this helps some.

Community begins with Aloha
The fact that you think the inspectors takes months to come out for aN inspection indicates that you have never called them to come for any inspections as required by your building permits. The inspectors are required to come within 48 hours of a request. My experience is that they come within three days every single time. You have not followed through on what you agreed when you got a building permit. I don't know why you would think they are not entitled to enforce the requirements.
I refused to give them permission, and told them all to ‘bugger off’
-------------
I agree with the others. You caused the situation to unfold as it did. You can bet that your actions will have further negative consequences to you. If I was one of the inspectors, I certainly wouldn't cut you any slack now.
Hey! Congrats on the award!

I think had you taken off your robe they would have all turned beat red and left. No I am not kidding. It is my experience that in our society so many people are so uncomfortable with nudity as to give it power over all other considerations, and a little of it would go a long way towards diffusing the situation you described. That is of course if you yourself are comfortable in a situation like that.

Otherwise I'd love to hear what some sort of supervisor at the building department has to say if you asked them about it.
the only people i have 'pissed off' are those who are in contention with the current board of the acres. i live an honorable life.
since when do three inspectors turn up simultaneously, without notice or appointment, and intimidate a single woman in a bath robe into admission or they refuse to leave, despite being repeatedly asked to do so?
my house is, at least visibly sound. they had no cause to be there without notice. since when do we have 'surprise inspections' in the acres? in triplicate.
it is possible that you are correct, that this is simply part of their job. i will let you know when i have a copy of their operational procedures.

#10048;
#10048;
Well, you could try and do some investigation through the coconut wireless and see who works for the county, specifically, the building department that lives in Hawaiian Acres and doesn't like what you / the board of the Acres.

I'm not sure how far that'd get you, but its probably where i'd start.

Disclaimer, could possibly be considered stalking / illegal.
How were they to know, in advance, that you are a single woman in a bath robe? They were responding to a complaint. If I was them and had to go into Hawaiian Acres on a complaint call, I wouldn't go alone either!
Showing up unannounced and expecting immediate attention does not make for a friendly reception in my book either.

Tink - thanks for the real insight how these situations are handled. Have to ask as I'm sure its happened plenty - what if someone denies admittance to the inspector to validate by observation?