Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
used cars
Anyone know of any reputable used car dealers on the east side? When I arrive in February I only rented a car for 4 days so I need to buy a car right away. I'm looking for a 4x4, preferably a Jeep Cherroke.
Mahalo,
Mark

I had a good experience with Kamiaina Motors. Bought a used Toyota 4 door Tacome, 4 wheel drive, 2002. I took it and had it inspected by an independent mechanit shop before I bought to get the scoop and hav e not been disappointed. I bargained hard for price. It took a few days and I think we were both happy with the deal in the end. The selection of decent 4 wheel drives here is limited. I happened to find exactly what I wanted but had planned on buying over in Honolulu and shpping via young brothers... it's only about $100.

Good luck. Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
"reputable used car dealers", now that's an oxymoron, lol! sorry i couldn't resist. i guess if you're in a hurry and don't mind spending more they're the place to go. the paper usually has quite alot of 4x4's for sale, but it usually does take awhile to find what you're looking for, also depends on what price range. good luck. if i hear about a cheroke, i'll let you know.

There is a car auction in Hilo on alternate Saturdays I believe. I have seen some good cars sell for low prices. It is the only car auction in the state that is open to the public. Like any auction sometimes there are great deals sometimes not.

http://www.paradiseauction.com/

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Good luck finding something in 4 days. Especially 4 wheel drive. They go FAST here. My advice to you would be to contact ALL the used car dealers and have them start looking for something for you about a month before you come out. I bought a truck about a month ago and it took me 2 weeks to find what I wanted. My car had died so I needed something right away. There just aren't many options and they sell so fast. Mazda/Subaru seemed to me to have the largest selection of used cars. Toyota was next, Honda had a limited selection but is where I ended up buying my truck - they had been watching out for me and called me the day it came in.
Mazda/Subaru - largest selection 808) 961-4411
Big Island Toyota - (808) 935-2920
Limited Selection:
Island Cheverolet - (808) 933-4600
Orchid Isle Auto Center - (808) 935-1191, website: http://www.fordhawaii.com
Aiona Car Sales - (808) 935-9958
Kama'aina Motors - (808) 935-3741 Website: http://www.kamaainanissan.com/en_US/

To search the classified Ads: http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/classifieds/

Good luck!

Mahalo for the info. I read the Hilo paper online pretty much every day. And your right about the turnover on cars, much the same as the real estate there. However, I must say that the prices on used cars are generally very reasonable. If I'm not able to find the 4x4 I want in those first four days, I will probably just pick up a cheap little car to get me around until I can find a 4x4 I like.

You say used cars are reasonable, other people tell me they are much higher than the mainland. I just don't know whether it is worth it to ship my 02 ranger 4x4 over ($860) or buy one whwn I get to Puna.

If you like the vehicle $860 seems like a reasonable price to get it over there. It costs $2300 to ship one from here in Alabama. The time it would save you looking for 4x4 is something to cosider. Congrats on your move.

Aloha Scott

Scott, Matson's quoted us 861.00 to include our pickup and tractor both in the container. That was 8500.00 door to door from Maine, for a 40ft container. 650.00 credit if we can load in 2 hours or less. All fuel tanks must be near empty.

HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

We are shipping one of our vehicles (a full size Chevy van) and selling the other two (actually already sold my Jeep). After much deliberation over what to ship, and what not to ship, we decided on a sort of middle ground. We will ship a 4'x8'x8' crate, one vehicle, and many boxes are already at a friends house that will be mailed to us when we have an address... Once there, I will buy a car, furniture, and beds. I don't know exactly how this will all work out as far as costs comparitively, but I like the idea of giving some of the local merchants of our new home some buisness.
Aloha,
Mark
One week to go!!