Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dept. of Health, illegel dumping/grubbing
i just got off the phone with Steven Chang, Chief of the Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch of the Department of Health, in Honolulu.

We don't have a person from they're office on this island. Can you believe that? I can. They're funding comes from a percent of the revenue generated by the waste industry, not taxes. So they have no personel for Maui, Kauai or Hawai'i. They fly one over here quarterly.
You want to know why these developers and speculator can get away will illegal grubbing and the pushing it/dumping the grubbed forest onto the neighbor's lot. It's a felony.
Yet it will go on and on until enough people speak up.
Linda Lingle is the go to person for this as she can veto any proposal brought in the next legeslature. So we need to tell her we need a Health Department/ Solid and Hazardous Waste personel on each island, we could use 2 one Kona, one Hilo. I don't have the Gov's email but I'm sure one of you all do.

Gotta some the gutting of "our" rainforest or we'll end up looking like Kona or Pearl City.
Don't be complacent.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
When a issue involves grubbing or grading, try sending a complaint to or calling the office (ask for inspector) at:

DIVISION ENGINEERING
DIVISION HEAD Galen M. Kuba, P.E.
ADDRESS/LOCATION East Hi: Aupuni Center, 101 Pauahi Street, Suite 7, Hilo, HI 96720-4224
West Hi: 75-5706 Kuakini Highway, Suite 111, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
HOURS OF OPERATION 7:45 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday
PHONE NUMBERS East Hi: (808) 961-8327
West Hi: (808) 327-3530
FAX NUMBERS East Hi: (808) 961-8933
West Hi: (808) 327-3533

Edited by - kapohocat on 11/19/2007 09:49:31
Honorable Linda Lingle, Governor
Executive Chambers, State Capitol
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813

Phone 808-586-0034

FAX 808-586-0006

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
thanks mello
and Kuba has been spoken with many times, you see any difference or a change? In fact I've probally spoke with him personally. I'm telling you and I have it all documented, they the local, agencies don't, won't or can't do anything about it. They lame excuse I get from all goverment agancies. Well how are they gonna observe if they don't even have someone on the island?
thanks Cat but Kuba ain't gonna do it. We need the state to get involved as it is a Felony.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
WOW - the only reason I mentioned eng is because they had a job shut down in about 1 day from a complaint from the next door neighbor...... in HA......

Cat you have a laptop you can bring to the party? I'll bring a cd of visual puna entertainment, and the file that goes with it, ho thick file!

KEEP PUNA RURAL
Such are the fruits of outsourcing, and not having a public agency responsible to the taxpayers. Try calling Waste Management at their headquarters in Georgia, or whereever it is.

we have the public agency. we have the laws unfortunately we have more apathy than anything else. Part due to the climate........beach. And mostly people are too busy just making a living and paying the bills.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
There are many examples of successful illegal dumping enforcement that you may want to propose to the State or County.

First there are two things that you must research.
1. You'll be surprised how many areas where dumping vegetative or soil isn't considered illegal dumping on vacant, unfenced or non-posted properties.
2. Even when it's fenced or posted, the law may require that the owner has to file a complaint otherwise what's to say the dumpers didn't have permission?
This only applies to items allowed to be dumped on private property, not stuff like cars, old washers, or construction material. I also believe public property doesn't require owner complaints.

Once that's researched, many comminutes have what is called a "Bounty Programs". Whenever someone observes illegal dumping, they fill out a complaint form, (has to testify if required) and if the person is found guilty, the citizen gets as much as 50% of the fine. The best source for information on this program is the NYC Sanitation Illegal Dumping Task Force. They have the most successful program that I found.

Bob are you here? or NYC? (scratchin my head) try Section 20 (Refuse) Hawaii County clearly spells out the law, it's available online. Bulldozing one lot onto another is "refuse" and is supposed to be taken to a green waste site, mulched or sold to China for toothpicks.
BUT
You cannot just push it next door cause that lots is empty and the owner is in Switzerland? or Arizona or Outer Mongolia.
Dosen't matter, it's a felony.

The Problem?

Nobody's out there inspecting the grubbing jobs?
No one wants to deal with it, unless YOU are the property owner.

I've looked up TMKs, found owners, white page.com or google them, call them or write them to see if they mind if the (?contractor, developer) next door was putting debris from the lot next to them, on to their lot.
Huh? what? is this a crank call?

Some have written letters to the Mayor you allow me to act in their behalf with this regard. Harry knows of this I've called his office and left messages numerous times. He's never returned one call. For the past 4 years?!

Yet at a parade he'll come talk story about my truck or my dogs. Try to talk to him about anything and he say call my secratary.

"yea we go round in circles"

This ain't just in HPP but that's where I live. It's hard enough to get anything done here let alone the whole island. Every District has a list of problems. Lucky you no stay in Hamakua when the log trucks start rolling.
Bob will you be at the web party?

KEEP PUNA RURAL