Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiians/Polynesians are Everywhere!
Visiting family in Portland Oregon and had to drive for a Costco run. They had a sign at the entrance for "graduation leis" and a huge cooler full. Saw several families checking out with stacks of leis and talked with one Aunty who was very glad she didn't have to get her leis shipped in by family anymore.
sounds familiar. feels good to run across a part of home when abroad, doesn't it. ...even better when actually getting back, stepping off the plane and feeling those trade winds. ...voggy or not.
[Smile]

Get plenty kanaka in Oregon!

My dearest Mother went to Willamette (back in the day; 1940's), and her sister still lives in Salem, with her children and mo'opuna. They even get poi!!!

There are so many various Hawaiian "Clubs" and organizations, that most don't feel so far away from home. Not only Hawaiians, but lots of Tongan, Samoan, and Fijian residents. Polynesians are everywhere!

Enjoy your trip, and safe travels. A hui hou.

(Pssttt...Did you get some strawberries yet??? OMG, the best! [:p])

JMO.

There are more Hawaiians living in California than there are in Hawaii.

The 2010 census says there were 135,422 Native Hawaiians / Pacific Islanders in Hawaii and there were 144,386 Native Hawaiians / Pacific Islanders living in California.
There are more Hawaiians living in California than there are in Hawaii.

California is cheaper, and the weather is pretty nice, so not a big surprise.
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao

[Smile]

Get plenty kanaka in Oregon!

My dearest Mother went to Willamette (back in the day; 1940's), and her sister still lives in Salem, with her children and mo'opuna. They even get poi!!!

There are so many various Hawaiian "Clubs" and organizations, that most don't feel so far away from home. Not only Hawaiians, but lots of Tongan, Samoan, and Fijian residents. Polynesians are everywhere!

Enjoy your trip, and safe travels. A hui hou.

(Pssttt...Did you get some strawberries yet??? OMG, the best! [:p])

JMO.

U of O, OSU and Pacific University all have substantial Hawaiian/Pacific Islander student populations. Pacific has an advisor just for their Pacific Islander students and a recruiting office on Oahu. OSU and U of O also have a big rivalry over who throws the best luaus.

One year the woman who runs graduation at U of O tried to ban leis, claiming they ruined the "look" and solemnity of the event. Every single cultural club vowed to boycott graduation if she didn't relent, a lot of other students were outraged as well. She backed down and that was the last year she ran graduation.

Been eating tons of those strawberries, the best Willamette Valley varieties don't ship well, so the only place to get them is here.
"There are more Hawaiians living in California than there are in Hawaii."

actually, if you look at the subcategory you will find that while there are more so-called "one race"-"Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander" listed, there are actually far less "one race"- specifically "Native Hawaiians" listed in California than Hawaii.

that being said, the true accuracy of the whole racial demographics taken by the US Census seems suspect in some ways. for one thing, they rely on self-selected racial categorization when taking data (don't try tell me a certain amount of people don't engage in a little wishful simplification, omissions and/or additions). the categories themselves change and morph over time as well.

so in conclusion on the racial demographic thing, whatevers.
Wow. Those humans sure seem to live all over the planet...
lol
Those humans sure seem to live all over the planet...

I haven't left the island for a long time, but heard that surprisingly the airline flights can go both ways. And if you're a citizen here, you're a citizen there!

Like Aloha Cargo's motto says:
If It's Grown, It Can be Flown.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves