Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neighbor's scary experience
My neighbor has just been chased by some nutcases. Our neighborhood got cased by two suspicious vehicles this evening (A Road, HPP). The vehicles left after neighbors started turning on lights. She and her son (ex-military) drove off a few minutes later to see if they could find the cars and get their plates. Well, they did, but then the nutcases chased them all the way from HPP to H-11 and only gave up after she headed to Keaau police station. They were on the phone to police the entire time.

Will provide license plate details later.
Incidentally, our neighborhood appears to being targeted at the moment and am thinking of getting some solar powered motion-tripped security lights for myself and the neighbors. Something like a 40-foot sensor range or more would be good and enough light to illuminate roughly the same range or greater. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
home depot has some decent led motion floods...
Thanks, lava. I know they have stuff, but wasn't sure how good it was. Think I'll stop by on Tuesday, buy something cheap, test it out and figure out where to go from there. At least I'll gain an idea about what we need.

Boy, the neighborhood has changed. Thankfully I have great neighbors.
Tom,

I've tried the solar/LED motion sensor lights from Amazon, and they didn't scare anyone away. The only thing that worked for me, and my neighbors, was the dummy camera along with the sign "Smile You're On Camera"

Sign: http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Youre-Camera...002602N34/

Dummy Camera: http://www.amazon.com/Security-Outdoor-W...005EP3EH2/

Tip: If you use a dummy camera, don't put a battery in it, as real security cameras don't have flashing red lights.
They had these at Costco a few days ago for $31. I bought one and wish I had bought more. Not only does it have good illumination, but for a person looking towards the house when the light turns on, the light is blinding even if your eyes aren't used to the dark. If they still have them when I go next week I'm going to get more. Another benefit is that they don't need to be near an AC power source. I think the light fixture itself needs to be protected from the rain though.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-82101-Solar-Motion-Light/dp/B00UH9HZJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436887841&sr=8-1&keywords=100+LED+solar+motion+light
The Defiant motion sensor lights work well.
If you aim the sensor high it will catch motion pretty far. I'd say easily40 feet.
They're nice to have.
When wake up in the middle of the night and they are off you know no one is out there.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Ps The product I got advertises 1000 lumens which is about the same as a 75 W incandescent. its claim of 30 feet motion detection is pretty generous though. It can also be switched to being on all the time if you need constant flood light though I wouldn't expect the batteries to last long like that.
jrw

jrw
jrw
I bought sunforce solar motion sensor light from amazon 2 years ago and put by my gate so when you come up to the gate it comes on. It has work excellent for me. I know a couple people have been surprise when it comes on and it is nice when you come home night to see to unlock the gate. You can fixed where it comes on at night dim and brightens up when sense motion. It cost about 40 on amazon with free shipping.

jrw
jrw