Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orchidland road fees increase 235%
Got my Orchidland road fee bill today. Was SHOCKED to see it had increased from $85 to $200 per lot!!! (count them, THREE exclamation points)

Of course I voted against the fee increases and hadn't heard what the vote results are until I get this bill in the mail.

I smell a rat.
increased from $85 to $200 per lot!!!

I've always wondered how exactly this works as a "contractual obligation".

Lot owners are "obligated" to pay fees ... isn't the association bound to "do something" with the money?

Well, not a single inch of road was paved from the last paving special assessment, so I guess the answer is no.
I just noticed that the vote results aren't even posted on the association web site. The invoice is dated July one but was mailed on the 25th so somebody who has 10 lots has to come up with $2000 in one month?! Many people are not going to pay this assessment. They CANT.
I believe that this has to be voted on and approved by the general membership.
Did that happen?
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Whoa, that's gonna hurt. Pensioner, on fixed income, have 2 side by side lots, 1 car, 1 house. $400 a huge hunk of money. My road is pottholes between lakes as are most. The recent scraping was nice for maybe 30 days but without cinder or gravel it has reverted. Looks like HPP is $275 a year as of 2013 from their website and it increases each year by a few dollars.
In Fern Forest the road fees can only increase by 10% per year.

Amrita, just curious... did you send in a ballot regarding the road fee increases? I'm wondering how many people didn't vote because they thought it wouldn't go up if they did nothing.
From the OLCA Website:

OLCA is NOT responsible for mowing along roads or for garbage or abandoned vehicle removal. The $100 annual road maintenance fee and the $100 annual supplemental paving fee (voted to be approved annually) are just for that, road maintenance and paving.

It looks to me like your fees are $200.00/year.From the homepage there is a statement that the paving fee was voted on and passed.
I did the proxy thing, my bad.

quote:
Originally posted by terracore

In Fern Forest the road fees can only increase by 10% per year.

Amrita, just curious... did you send in a ballot regarding the road fee increases? I'm wondering how many people didn't vote because they thought it wouldn't go up if they did nothing.

You have to get the road fund flush with cash before you embezzle it and high tail it back to the mainland.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*