Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT "protection" cost
Let's start running a tab.

MK Summit tour companies: the one to speak publically, near the beginning of the "occupation", claimed $50K in losses.

PISCES: could not get permits in the newly "managed" area near MK summit, so nobody outside of UH bothered to participate -- protest not blamed publically but what a coincidence.

DLNR/HPD overtime: I'm sure there's plenty, less sure we'll ever know exactly how much.
Let's not forget the damage to our reputation.

And paying for the tab.
Put a DNLR Toll Booth at the entrance to Mauna Kea Access Road. Like the Hilo airport does at their parking lot, provide the first period of time for free, say 6 or 8 or 10 hours. After that, $10 an hour. Overnight no camping violation: $1.4 billion.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

And paying for the tab.
Put a DNLR Toll Booth at the entrance to Mauna Kea Access Road. Like the Hilo airport does at their parking lot, provide the first period of time for free, say 6 or 8 or 10 hours. After that, $10 an hour. Overnight no camping violation: $1.4 billion.

Only take credit cards and put a "hold" on the card for $1,000 just in case the "protestor" tries to not come back down. If 48 hours goes by with no return, charge the $1,000.

and if we just would have called in the national guard to begin with... The problem would have been solved long ago and dealt with effectively.
"MK Summit tour companies: the one to speak publically, near the beginning of the "occupation", claimed $50K in losses."

There are eight tour companies with permits to operate on Mauna Kea and they all charge similar rates, so not difficult to figure out the losses, plus that figure was quoted well before they could resume tours. Add in the operational costs the observatories had to spend while they couldn't open (a few hundred thousand dollars), then you can see this was expensive, and a lot of it came from our taxes.
Hi Tom

I believe all of the Observatories were able to remain"On Sky the whole time that the incident took place.
Most if not all are operated remotely with a crew on hand to make sure the equipment remains functioning
aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP
you can see this was expensive, and a lot of it came from our taxes.

Going and coming: while we're spending tax money for "enforcement", we're also losing revenue (GET/TAT/payroll/etc).

Meanwhile, people complain about the horrible roads, and County keeps saying "can't afford it".
Hi Dan,

On June 24th all the observatories that require personnel at the summit in order to operate had to close as no one could get to the summit. Those would be Subaru, the Kecks, IRTF, Gemini and the JCMT. I'm uncertain about the others that are remotely operated except UKIRT, which also closed since no access was available to the summit in case of an emergency. I'm unsure about the operating rules for the other remotely operated telescopes, so don't know if they operated or not (I could find out).

Cheers,
Tom