Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No OTA TV but PBS here
Lost all the over the air commercial TV channels this morning but the two PBS 10's. I guess I'm not alone?
I'm getting the PBS's, channel 14, and the three 45's. Everything else is down.

ETA: correct 41 to 45
Channels 10 (PBS), 14 (KWHE) and 45 (K45CT) all get their source signals sent wirelessly, multi-hop from Honolulu. All the others use cable. There's probably a breakdown there.
Thanks, I appreciate the responses.
Yes, I'm on the Internet because I can't watch the news right now. Oh well, at least we have power. Hope that Guillermo blows by without knocking out the electricity.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Pretty much the same here (lower HPP). Good to know we can rely on a solid OTA network to keep us informed of upcoming storms or stuff like that.

PBS works as does channel 14 (not that I watch it very often, I've never been keen on guided tours of religious sites). 45 works but is as intermittent as ever. Great signal for all three channels then it dies for a minute or two. Repeat.

Channels 11* have always been strongest, but they are currently off air. Channels 4-1 and 4-2 are the most finicky but get nothing from them.

I don't care about 9-1.
All I have now is Dr Todd Coonzt in Honolulu telling everyone to give him $1000 in order for god to forgive them, a vacuum cleaner advert that beats all others, guaranteed, on 45-1, and some more interesting stuff on 45-2 and 45-3: a B&W movie and a documentary about a criminal case.

The latter is quite interesting. As to the former, shame on the 70 people he convinces to give him money. May god forgive me.
@TomK: I think 45 actually goes off air intermittently. I caught them go from a good signal to zero and back to good, a handful of times over the last 2 weeks, for about 60 seconds each time.

@kimo_wires: Yes, quite unfortunate timing for those stations to go down. However, it does highlight a strength of OTA TV: Different transmitter sites and different transmission paths make it so it's very unlikely you'll lose all channels. With cable TV, the potential to lose all channels exist (and could even happen with satellite if something weird happened in space). It's particularly good that there are two instances of KGMB (Hawai`i News Now) that arrive through different paths from different transmitter sites.
@TomK, Re: Ch.14: I don't know or have any evidence that Channel 14 does this, but I've learned over the past 2 years or so that religious broadcasting is a very lucrative business model. One of the big religious networks offers stations 50% of the donation as a finders fee. So, a $1000 donation is really sending $500 to the owners of the station, often a for-profit corporation. It's easy money for stations (zero effort), but I could never do it. My grandmother gave all her money to a religious broadcaster back in the 1990's-- leaving no money for her healthcare or living expenses. Her final years were not very comfortable or pleasant.
Thanks, H22, and so sorry to read the story of your grandmother. Like you, I have no idea if channel 14 are following the example you gave, but since some of the religious programmes asking for money so you can be forgiven, healed, made whole etc. rely on telling anecdotes, it's also good to to read anecdotes that don't support their claims.

PS. Thanks for the confirmation about the 45 channels. That is exactly what I am experiencing. Strong signal goes to zero, usually with some indications it's about to die (pauses, flickering picture) before they all die only to come back a minute or so later.