Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"We've happened upon a bit of a problem...."

Some members, and I also, have been getting this problem message in the course of some Punaweb activities.

The problem seems to be, according to my webmaster, that Punaweb is twelve years old and despite an upgrade a couple years ago the basic platform is getting to be an antique. We are considering a new, more modern platform and server and there is some degree of risk involved. I want to preserve the full archives. Not sure yet how this will happen or what it will cost.

For now we just have to bear with it.

Mahalo for your patience.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
First and foremost thank you for this site, Rob. Archives are good but not necessarily something to break the bank over. If it turns out an antiquated platform is indeed a problem, I hope the simplicity and bandwidth-friendly quality of the existing version can be preserved.

Thanks again for Punaweb.
Thanks Rob!
Mahalo Rob.
Does this forum software use a SQL database? If so it needs periodic error repairing run on the database files. Many forum software packages have utilities to import posts from older forums. Most of the newer forums try to be more than they need to be and integrate with social media. The excess of options makes the new forum softwares security nightmares. They are constantly getting hacked by spambots and require vigilant software and security upgrades and patches.
Rob,

What can we do to help you forward in this process?
Posted by PunaMauka2:
quote:
I hope the simplicity and bandwidth-friendly quality of the existing version can be preserved.

I agree, the Punaweb site is considerably faster than any other site I visit, probably because of the low-graphics content and simple no-frills code. That being said, I go to some more elaborately structured sites with handy stuff like roll-over or link previews of posts, avatars, attachment options for posts etc. that are still quite speedy. For those of us stuck with dial-up who are not choosing to go with satellite BB, such sites are a relief from the interminably slow loading pages that seem to dominate the web now.

Good luck with your future efforts, and thanks for the current and legacy content.

I agree with this sentiment and do hope that you ( Rob) Kiel it simple as it has almost always worked for me.
This topic has been discussed before... As usual, if you need any help with it. I can volunteer my time.

Cheers.

Thank you Rob for all your service to Puna Web.