Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water jugs
My husband and I like County water for drinking and fill our own 1-gal containers. 5-gal's are way too heavy for me, and we like the ease of 1-gals. For the past 5 years, we've been using 1-gal plastic containers that ice tea came in. All of a sudden, probably with this heat, they have developed a nasty smell. The theory is the plastic has broken down and we shouldn't use them anymore. So... anyone with a suggestion of containers for water that's only 1-gal? And where to purchase?

We've thought of Coleman or Rubbermaid camping/tailgating/work site-type containers, but reviews online hint they can leak. We need something that's easy to hold at the spigots, and we don't want glass for fear of dropping them, resulting in broken glass in public place. Suggestions?
I find its easier to just find a jug you like in the juice aisle and buy a couple of those... even if you dump the contents, its still cheaper than buying from companies like this.

http://www.freundcontainer.com/f-style-p...p/3132B36/

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
I'm pretty sure Walmart has smaller than 5-gal water jugs for a fair price. Other than that, you might want to try Amazon (expensive) or ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-Enviro-Ga...005P0NPKM/
Just buy glass. Plastic is bad. They leak toxic PCBs. Check it out for yourself. Netflix has a good documentary on it.

Even if you think you are immune, which you are not, why ingest that stuff if you don't have to. A glass jug costs about $8 and will last forever.

A tall glass of petrochemicals does more harm than you may think.
I once accidentally broke a glass bottle and cut myself cleaning up the glass. The wound got infected and I got really sick with a fever. I almost died.

Never had a problem with plastic bottles though.

I couldn't find a netflix documentary on the dangers of glass but let me tell you THEY ARE REAL. GLASS KILLS.
You can get 3 gallon plastic (non bpa stuff) bottles at Walmart. They fit right on the typical dispensers just like the 5 gallon ones do.

eta..typos
You don't have to completely fill the five gallon bottles. We use the blue ones from Walmart for around $9.
I do wonder where you can find replacement lids as one of mine has cracked.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Yep 8digits ,,, Hold it 'till you cannot ,,,, Thats a sign of what you can manage. I'm sure you can make a cork yes ? Or just tape it.

aloha,
pog
The problem with glass is it's subject to the law of entropy breaking into sharp shards that won't go away. So my solution for waste glass is to dump them into potholes. Hopefully the road crew will pave it over. Any better ideas??

I reckon it's better than getting cellulitis from the dump.
I used to use empty bleach bottles since I was always using bleach on the catchment tank. The white interior makes it easy to see if the water is clean if it sits around too long. Easy to replace if they get banged up or too grimy on the outside after too many trips in the trunk. Just rinse them a few times and mark them so that you don't confuse them with new bottles.