Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google celebrates Duke for his birthday!
The Google graphic for Aug. 24th is dedicated to Duke Paoa Kahinu Mokoe Hulikohola Kahanamoku in honor of his birthday.
If you can get over legs dangling like shark bait in dark water... night surfing with longboard at Queens/Canoes in Waikiki (daytime way too crowded). I bet Duke Kahanamoku saw that same view of a crescent moon rising over Diamond Head while leisurely riding a long breaker.
pretty snazzy!
Did not know that if you tap the graphic it takes you to the search page for lots of good reading.

Community begins with Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

If you can get over legs dangling like shark bait in dark water... night surfing with longboard at Queens/Canoes in Waikiki (daytime way too crowded). I bet Duke Kahanamoku saw that same view of a crescent moon rising over Diamond Head while leisurely riding a long breaker.

I've sat in Waikiki by the light of a silvery moon on me boards however, I still have my legs so I can't prove it. [grin]

Sunrises are great too! Not simply, visually striking but, heck yeah, zero crowds!

Albeit, not to say they ain't no shark cause, I saw one big un just under the surface one afternoon, darned thing sent me to sand faster than waves could. .

And me hates it when the op no put link in topic, so: August 24, 2015

Duke Kahanamoku’s 125th Birthday: http://www.google.com/doodles/duke-kahan...h-birthday

And, what's that got to do wit sharks nibbling on feets by the silvery moon anyhow? No get moon or night in graphics.
"Albeit, not to say they ain't no shark cause, I saw one big un just under the surface one after noon. darned thing sent me to sand faster than waves could. ."

I never did see a shark while I was actually in the water (a lightning fast shark trying to steal the fish I had on a line down in Ka'u is a different story). But that reminds me of bolting in over the rocks at Pohoiki like a fool when I mistook one of those manta's fin tips as something more ominous.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"[). But that reminds me of bolting in over the rocks at Pohoiki like a fool when I mistook one of those manta's fin tips as something more ominous.

Whelp, I may add to that, and while funny, manta scaring ya, to put it back to topic, the Duke probably didn't play at night.

Personally, I was not completely sure that I saw a shark, just something big and dark swimming down there in 15-20 feet of water. Me being a Blondie meant I was always game for the local's harassment. Most usually though, I'd set and wait fer da big uns and once I caught a few good waves, problem solved, there's an unspoken respect, regardless of color. . . But on this day there were a couple of guys 'local, locals' who were under the impression that they owned the ocean. wasn't a very big day, averge 3-5 ft and no big swells to wait on so, I were riding more frequently than usual. The local boys, who were not out far enough to catch the bigger swells, kept trying to cut me off. That ended up in wipeouts fer them and made em madder too. So, I'd just come back from a wave while they was stuck inside, fighting the wash, after failing to cut me off and wiping out, reclaiming their boards from the beach. I'd just sat up to wait for another set and once I began to relaxe, I saw something below, double checked and decided that whatever the heck it was, it was BIG , maybe 15 feet BIG, and I wasn't sticking around to find out!

I paddled away ASAP, keeping me toes and feet high, while thinking it might nip them! and grabbed anything and everything that already broke, rolling in on me belly.

But as I boarded in, there were those two locals paddling out, and there was no way to avoid coming into contact. I thought sure somebody was gonna get a beating, like, me! I kind-of figured; I might be able to take them, maybe, I mean, obviously I out surfed their butts so, me was stronger, at least, more skillful, but didn't want to discover the answer to that too. So, I opted the friendly route,, by yelling "Shark!" Shark! BIG Shark!" while pointing to the spot I saw that 'thing' before they could get close enough to run their mouths off. I also managed to get a little white water and ride past them.

I think they figured now, that I was just a scared rabbit, making up excuses cause I knew they were P.O.-ed and coming for me, as they ignored me while grinning, cursing and continued back out.

Once I hit the beach, I don't recall what I was doing but very shortly when I turned to look back out, there they were, coming out da wadder heading straight for me.. I knew; I'd have to stand my ground now, or get run down from behind if I tried to run away. But, they began shouting at me, yet there was too much nocse from the waves to comprehend what they were saying. when I could figure out what, and as they approached it was. "Thanks Bro! Brotta! ". They'd seen the shark too, and now, they was me buddies, grateful that, despite their attempts to assault and or intimidate me, I warned em. I chatted for a few minutes but, I don't need no pals who'd tried to attack and or assault me verbally or psychically cause 'they owned' the friggen ocean anywho.

Regardless, they saw it too, confirming one big un shark that afternoon..

The moral to that story is: Surfing or playing in the ocean depths where sharks are known to be, doesn't become a reality until ya see's em or worse, get tasted!.

And the Duke? I'd wager much, that he saw em too, and wasn't so dumb or ignorant like me, as to play in those waves in the dark.

Night swims, in shallow water, probably no problem,, providing you know where the depths change, Otherwise, that day sure messed up my delusions.

"...the Duke probably didn't play at night."

Yep, we can only guess. Call me a romantic, but I tend to lean toward guessing he ended up paddling out by moonlight in that area at least once.

"...were under the impression that they owned the ocean."

Sounds exactly like the couple of guys I would see in the area of Queens who once on a wave would literally be constantly yelling at everyone around them to get out of the way, from start to finish. Was freakin ridiculous. Like what's the point for them of even being out there, enjoyment? If was too crowded for me to get enough enjoyment, I'd just pick another time. Hence, the occasional episodes of moonlit night surfing.

"The moral to that story is: Surfing or playing in the ocean depths where sharks are known to be, doesn't become a reality until ya see's em or worse, get tasted!."

If there was one, I suppose my closest call (that I was aware of) came on a very uncrowded quiet weekday at Honoli'i. I had taken a quick late morning break from work. Soon after my return I heard from friends that someone had just been bitten at Honoli'i (they routinely listen to the scanner, having a relative who is a firefighter). I calculated it must have happened within a half hour or so of my getting out of the water. Naturally made me wonder what may have been lurking nearby as I was totally oblivious. Later on I learned the person had received quite a substantial bite in the arse as they were paddling.

Bringing it back to Duke, I spotted this about Duke and sharks:

"The article says, as a boy, Duke would playfully approach sharks in the harbor and have them chase him, sometimes in front of horrified passengers in passing steamers. The passengers threw coins at Duke, who collected them in his mouth. The trans-Pacific travelers who leaned over the steamer rail and threw coins did not know that Duke would "be known the world over as the world's greatest swimmer.""

https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/nd...kahanamoku

"And the Duke? I'd wager much, that he saw em too, and wasn't so dumb or ignorant like me, as to play in those waves in the dark."

Maybe not dumb enough to play in those waves in the dark, but apparently had the gumption to collect coins by taunting sharks into chasing him in broad daylight.