Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Paving . . . current status?
Back from Texas now and wondering if anyone has heard the latest on the HPP road paving? (Thanks to punapetah for reminding about this in one of his posts on the styrofoam thread.) When I attended the HPP Association meeting and posted about the presentation on the volcano, the road committee also reported. In the wake of the volcano bombshell, this significant issue did not get the spotlight it deserved IMHO.

As I understood the gentleman who presented, they have realized that the $12 million bond raised will be far from adequate to pave all the roads in the Park. This is NOT what were told when it was put to the vote. (Imagine that!) Now my memory has dimmed somewhat, so please correct and/or update me if you have more recent or accurate info. The plan described was to only pave 10th, 16th, and 22nd plus to "improve" Kaloli, Paradise, and Makuu to County standards all the way to their ends.

HPP has a bad history on road projects, and I abstained on the vote because of that history. Unfortunately the meeting ran late due to the volcano report, and I had people waiting on me and did not stay to the end of the meeting. Before I left some people expressed concern for the roads to be paved becoming speedways, but no one complained about the whole project being so different from what was originally proposed. I could kick myself in the rear end for not staying and moving that the whole thing be scrapped since it was not as proposed. We could easily spend all that money only to make things worse or pave a road that might eventually have been done by the state/county as part of the PMAR.

Anybody have new information or opinions about this?

Cheers,
Jerry