Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nanawale Rules on Number of People in a House
Are there rules about having "room-mates" in Nanawale? My retirement situation has made it necessary for me to rent out two rooms. (Maybe there are rules but they aren't enforced.) Thank you.
http://nanawale.com/documents/CCR_DECLAR...or_web.doc

CCRs stipulate "single-family residential" as a land-use restriction on the number and type of buildings; I believe the prevailing Federal definition of "family" includes an economic unit even where no other relations exist.

Short-term rental might be construed as a "B&B" operation which would then require an SUP, GET license, collection of TAT, etc. (I don't have the definition handy, but six months or more is definitely not "short-term".)

My opinion: I believe the only way to "get in trouble" with a sublet (besides the obvious "bad tenant") is by converting existing space into a "bedroom" that did not previously exist -- this would potentially exceed the original design capacity of the septic system and create a DOH issue -- but such a situation would not be "visible from the street", so any enforcement would probably come as a side effect of a much larger problem.
I just checked out Airbnb and there are 19 available rentals in Nanawale. One of them is a shed,(only $25 a night). I don't think the association has a clue, or cares.
If possible, try not to rent all available bedrooms so not to appear to an enforcement agent that you are running a boarding house, no room numbers, separate mailboxes, etc. and you should be under the radar.

Community begins with Aloha
Trailer for sale or rent, rooms to let, fifty cents. / No phone, no pool, no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes
Seven hours of pushin' brooms buys a eight by ten four bit room...

Community begins with Aloha
Might check into insurance. One bad tenant and you'll be homeless...
Puna: Our roosters crow first
You have a CC&R, it is probably in there. There is also the community association rules:
http://www.nanawale.com/documents.html

The reality is there are probably more than a few houses where it might be multifamily, especially with the locals. Probably better to look up the tax reporting on having room mates.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I don't know specifically about Nanawale but county code specifies that you can have no more than 5 unrelated occupants living in a residence.
Well OP says he needs 2 roomies, so he should be in the clear.