Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
security cameras
Who could tell me about a camera system that has motion detection and alerts your smartphone? Do you need a landline internet connection or is it possible to use a 4g device? Also, does anyone have advice on wifi connected cameras, even if they a simple baby monitor types. If you have a system you like please share make and model and your experiences. When i shop for these systems my head spins and the ads do not seem to address my questions. I have game cams but taking them down to get the footage off them is a real hassle. If there is a cheap simple system to be able to check what is going on at my gate i would like to know about it as well.
Peace
Vitus
I think you are referring to a system like Canary, Piper, or Dropcam (now Nest I think.) There are others too...
http://canary.is/
https://getpiper.com/
https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/

Arlo may fit the bill for your gate, as it works outside. You said cheap, but that is a relative term. Arlo costs a bit more, but it may fill the needs you have with one system, inside and outside.
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

There is a give and take to any option. Which is likely what is making your head spin. It comes down to your specific needs and circumstances. Are you merely looking for notification of activity? Or, do you also want to store video? If you want recordings, do you want them kept locally, or do you want to keep them in the cloud. Do you want the ability to connect other devices, such as a smoke detector? There are pros and cons to each decision, for each feature.
The open-source platform for this is called Zoneminder:

http://www.zoneminder.com/

It supports capture, analysis, recording, and monitoring of video data coming from one or more video or network cameras attached to a Linux system.

Requires some tinkering, but incredibly powerful/flexible.
What price range you looking around? We have a few security camera systems so I am somewhat familiar. Ours are wired though but I noticed this one on Amazon for $259 which should do what you are wanting it for. Amazon warehouse has one for $197.00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00ELE2FOK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

TriVision NC-326PW HD 720P Outdoor Internet Home Security Camera System Wireless Wifi, Poe Wired, Waterproof, IR Night Vision, Motion Sensor, Dvr Micro SD Card Recording Internet Access, Plug and Play Apps on iPhone, iPad, Android Smart Phone, PC, Mac

*Unique 3 step install system
*Rated to IP67 for outdoor use
*720p HD video inc. MJPEG, MPEG4 & H.264 modes
*Windows & Mac compatible
*Free iPhone and Android apps for anywhere, anytime Live viewing
*Free multi-cam viewing software "CameraLive" via installation CD for PC
*No port forwarding or DDNS needed - no matter what router you have!
*Infrared night vision to 45 feet
*Automatic IR filter for true day/night video
*Multi-zone motion sensor
*Built-in Micro SD DVR expandable to 64Gb
*Motion alerts via Email
*Record to NAS or MicroSD card
POE: power over ethernet
*Secure WiFi 802.11b/g/n (WEP/WPA/WPA2)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartCam-1080p-Full-HD-Camera/dp/B00J38NVHE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1442558603&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+security+camera+system

better than the Nest. All features open, and no subscription cost.

But, you gotta have a pretty good internet connection for this, as it stores all the data up to the cloud so if they take the camera the data of them doing it remains on the cloud. Tho this is good and bad... start with the bad, samsung web services aren't always available and of course, it's a two way street. your service has to be active 24/7 as well.
it stores all the data up to the cloud

This trend is why I prefer open-source security systems -- NSA doesn't need any help.
Yeah, but this is suppose to be 2015 right? We are all suppose to have fiber and be connected! I agree, and with samsung you can install a NAS or run on a SSD card... The two bads are.. If the thief steals the camera and follows the wires to the NAS (say bye to HD's) and data, the whole reason to buy a camera in the first place. Let's not forget the extra expense of setting up and buying NAS. So, yeah, ssd cards are cheap maybe so, but you will run out of room quickly.

So the cloud, unlimited room, can't be stolen and access from anywhere. Sounds great if you got the bandwidth and connections are both secure and running properly.

No solution is perfect, sadly. Just use an old cellphone buy a sim add it to the plan or if you have good internet connectivity have it snap pics or record video. Send that to the cloud or your nas. I hear they are making apps to turn old phones into security cams.
can't be stolen and access from anywhere.

Can be lost or stolen, and you might not be the only one able to "access from anywhere".

Sounds great if you got the bandwidth

Excludes large parts of (at least) Puna and Kau.

use an old cellphone buy a sim add it to the plan

That way you can get robbed blind by the cell carriers!
I recently went through this complex process to find what would fit my needs, which were off-grid so low power, outdoor, low cost, easy access, etc.

First need decide indoor or outdoor location.

How to power - outlet, solar, battery, power over ethernet.

Decide if wifi,cellular or wired.

Storage - sdcard, network, cloud.

Image quality. The better the image the more bandwidth and storage required.

Software or service if want to control event capture instead of whole stream.

Camera cost.

What I choose was an inexpensive outdoor D-link camera $147. It was wifi or poe, internal sdcard. It also had free internet service to view stream online but no cloud stream or image capture. It also had it's own event capture software - so-so.

For capture I used the camera software for sdcard storage with wifi access to images. Not very good. For better capture and access from the mainland I used the free linux open source software Zonemaster on my server which did a professional job of event capture and wrote scripts to upload this to Google Drive. So I saved events on my network, sdcard and cloud - I know overkill. It worked well. It would be possible to use own web site if available.

Many cameras require expensive cloud service from the manufacturer - too expensive for me.

I have also been been experimenting with a android phone app Tinycam Monitor $2.99 which captures events to the cloud - Google Drive or Dropbox. Shows promise. Needs more tweeking for events.

Capturing to the cloud uses a lot of bandwidth and cloud storage, so really want to only capture events not the whole stream unless your wallet is fat.

quote:
Originally posted by tgalarneau

I recently went through this complex process to find what would fit my needs, which were off-grid so low power, outdoor, low cost, easy access, etc.

First need decide indoor or outdoor location.

How to power - outlet, solar, battery, power over ethernet.

Decide if wifi,cellular or wired.

Storage - sdcard, network, cloud.

Image quality. The better the image the more bandwidth and storage required.

Software or service if want to control event capture instead of whole stream.

Camera cost.

What I choose was an inexpensive outdoor D-link camera $147. It was wifi or poe, internal sdcard. It also had free internet service to view stream online but no cloud stream or image capture. It also had it's own event capture software - so-so.

For capture I used the camera software for sdcard storage with wifi access to images. Not very good. For better capture and access from the mainland I used the free linux open source software Zoneminder on my server which did a professional job of event capture and wrote scripts to upload this to Google Drive. So I saved events on my network, sdcard and cloud - I know overkill. It worked well. It would be possible to use own web site if available.

Many cameras require expensive cloud service from the manufacturer - too expensive for me.

I have also been been experimenting with a android phone app Tinycam Monitor $2.99 which captures events to the cloud - Google Drive or Dropbox. Shows promise. Needs more tweeking for events.

Capturing to the cloud uses a lot of bandwidth and cloud storage, so really want to only capture events not the whole stream unless your wallet is fat.