Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vog killed coquis?
We live at the top of the sub-div of Fern Forest. When we first arrived about a year ago, there were no coquis -- well, none we could hear anyway. A few months would pass, and our neighbor would unfortunately, and obviously not purposely, bring a lumber pile chock full of coquis.
Within a week or so, we were familiarized again with the sometimes-lull / sometimes-blaring shriek of these infamous frogs.
Then suddenly, about a week and a half ago, we [like everyone else on this side] got a nasty wall of vog that hung around for a while. Then, down came the rain. And... suddenly, we are coqui free.
Is there a connection here between vog and coquis? Or, should I just be thankful, knock wood and count my blessings? ;0)

hope
hope
Has it been cooler up there in that last week and a half? When it drops much below 60 degrees the frogs go into torpor and stop singing.

I have also noted the correlation between the recent voggy day and a definite lessening of the coqui frogs....in fact, right now, we have one left. I do think of amphibians as the "canary in the mine" and wondered if the vog has killed some of them off. Or again, as Leilaniguy stated, it may be cooler nights. Only time will tell. I'm in Eden Roc (upper area), so we'll definitely keep an ear out and see what happens!!

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Cooler weather shuts em up. sigh

The 'canary' coquis are singing in Keaau after the rain we had today. Oh well....maybe if I can coat a few with turkey drippings I can teach the lil' feral cat to catch & eat them....

Seriously here folks!

If you think the VOG is killing Coquis, what do you think the VOG is doing to our kids?

DOE has been doing studies on Big Island schools as we speak.