Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DLNR to protesters: Remove the camp
"A group of Native Hawaiians protesting the building of the Thirty Meter Telescope atop Mauna Kea will have until this evening to remove their campsite, according to a notice from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources."

Deadline is 6:00 PM tonight.It should have been a couple of months ago.
Want to bet they do it ?

aloha,
pog
They probably need a plan to deal with a large group of protesters and I bet they don't.
Good golly I hope this thins the herd. I wonder how many of them drove pollutant spewing vehicles up their sacred mountain to protest. I have also wondered how many of them get assistance from the "evil occupying government."

The Hawaiian ancestors that birthed todays native protesters used the stars and science to find these beautiful Islands. I think they would weep over the protestor's behavior.

Fake ahu's and pule's, smeared feces, threats to scientists. The sooner these thugs get kicked off the Mountain the better. For shame.

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...emove-camp

The notice, dated Tuesday, says the structures are in violation of state laws "prohibiting any construction or improvement in the forest reserve and camping activity that involves the possession of a tent, tarpaulin, or other obvious camping paraphernalia" in a restricted area.

The camp has been in place for 176 days ...

So it only took six months to enforce the laws as written. Around here that's pretty quick.
assistance from the "evil occupying government."

Or as protectors like to think of the checks and EBT cards with which they buy their taro - Reparations

Fake ahu's and pule's

Those are sacred fake ahu's & pule's divinely placed in front of construction materials:
"Basically, it’s a religious altar or shrine. It’s not just a stack of rocks. It’s the focus of the energies of our pule — our prayers — our spiritual connection to the land.” (... which just happened to be built directly in front of construction materials)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Amazingly similar to Mars. Should be worth at least 20 Billion in gov't funding.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
quote:
Originally posted by AKpilot

Good golly I hope this thins the herd. I wonder how many of them drove pollutant spewing vehicles up their sacred mountain to protest. I have also wondered how many of them get assistance from the "evil occupying government."

The Hawaiian ancestors that birthed todays native protesters used the stars and science to find these beautiful Islands. I think they would weep over the protestor's behavior.

Fake ahu's and pule's, smeared feces, threats to scientists. The sooner these thugs get kicked off the Mountain the better. For shame.

AKpilot

AKpilot, you're new here on Moku o Keawe, so perhaps the judgemental statement made here should be overlooked. However, continuing to demean the protestors/protectors shows lack of understanding the purpose.

First, the amount of vehicular traffic from tourists and buses far outweigh the protestors.

Further, would it surprise you that the "smeared feces" was done by a "haole" (not part of the protesting group) and that the protestors cleaned the bathroom? Check facts please, not just the propaganda in the media.

As to the Ali'i "weeping", there's lots to "weep" about. To profess we know what they would think is merely personal opinion. Nothing more.

Flippant comments like "fake ahu, fake pule" (no "s", btw) could be perceived as ignorance of our culture. Or worse, a typical response given lack of understanding, and compassion.

Enjoy your new home, and hopefully, the mana that comes with our island. Time may change your current disdain for some of our people. We accept you and others, and ask for the same respect in return.

We shall see how this latest notice from DLNR turns out by the end of day. All of this has been poorly handled by the State/BLNR/DLNR and should not have been allowed to get to this point.

Hewa loa. SMH.

JMO.
Opihikao, the Hawaiian-Chinese-English chiefess, exhibits such tolerance and generosity by allowing newcomers to stay in her land.
Flippant comments like "fake ahu, fake pule" (no "s", btw) could be perceived as ignorance of our culture. Or worse, a typical response given lack of understanding, and compassion.

Perhaps AKpilot & I would not even comment on ahu or pule if the builders would clearly state their intention:

it’s a religious altar or shrine... our spiritual connection to the land... ...the land which we intend to protect by placing an ahu in front of building materials to stop construction.

Otherwise it looks like exactly what it is, a devious and deceitful attempt to use spirituality to push forward their agenda. There are many Hawaiians who practice religion with honesty and sincerity. No one questions their actions. To point out that there are phonies among the Hawaiian people (as there are in any other culture) is not ignorance, or lack of understanding and compassion by non-Hawaiians, it is stating the obvious.

When the TMT protests began, I was sympathetic and supportive of the protesters. I thought it was important that their issues were addressed. But as time went on and I listened to their leaders and the false accusations made by some of the protesters, I lost respect for many of them. At this point, most of them. Those who remain are not the best and the brightest, and it is not cultural insensitivity to point it out. I would say the same of dippy white people if they made similar comments and took similar actions.

The Protectors of Mauna Kea are not the leaders Hawaiians need to form a new Kingdom. If they were sent to represent Hawaii in a meeting with other world leaders, I guarantee they would get little respect from other representatives, even less than I give them.

Time would be better spent identifying intelligent, politically and diplomatically skilled, honest and sincere representatives for a future Hawaiian nation, rather than defending those who's accomplishments include talking the loudest, and camping the longest.

I have no doubt that there are many highly intelligent Hawaiian people waiting for the time when they can step forward to represent their people. When that time comes, they will have my complete support.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves