Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue on the cliffs in HPP
Coast guard chopper, ambulance, police and a lot of other cars in the area of PAK and C. Chopper still flying around at this time. I think they've been at this for three or four hours now.
Hopefully it's a rescue and not a recovery!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Just gone midnight and there's still helicopter activity. No idea what's happened.
A 51-year-old man was reportedly swept out to sea Saturday while fishing near Kaloli Point in Hawaiian Paradise Park.
Around 2:20 p.m.,...

http://bigislandnow.com/2015/09/26/coast...fisherman/

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Thanks, bananahead. If that's the reason for all the activity then I'm impressed. There's a big effort going on to find the guy. Still hearing helicopters off the coast now.
The Coast Guard had a small boat working in conjunction with the chopper as well. It seemed to be checking close to shore up and down the southern side of Kaloli Point. The waves were quite large all afternoon.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
At 5:30 Sunday morning they were still looking for the guy. It sounded like they were looking all night.
The coast guard searched all through the night and they're still sweeping the coastline this morning.

Since the rescue efforts were focused at the cliffs near C & L Rd yesterday afternoon on Kaloli Pt, one can surmise that's where the fisherman got swept off. It's a popular fishing spot for fisherman. If he was alone as often times they are, I wonder how soon after the rescue efforts started.

The surf has been high and the civil defense had warnings out.

My heart goes out to his family....
Sorry if it sounds like victim blaming. But who goes fishing off of Kaloli cliffs when there are numerous civil defense reports of high surf and rain? Even without listening to all of the reports, the ocean itself will tell you....maybe not the best day to fish.
Went there to see what the helicopter noise was about.....fire rescue, ambulance were at the scene as well as a small congregation of concerned neighbors. One compassionate neighbor was holding the little girl. (I believe it was her father that fell).

He was fishing off the cliffs at a popular location where the rescue efforts were concentrated. A neighbor said that a bystander did see him about 100 yards from the shore.
Sadly, I listened to the helicopter well into the night.
All quiet now. There was some yellow tape put up across the "entrance".
Puna: Our roosters crow first