Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
car rental Hilo?
I have family coming to visit over the holidays and this time we can't loan them one of our cars. Who is the best place to rent a good rig for exploring the island with 3 adults and two kids in carseats?

Edited to fix exhaustion caused typo, nothing like a 12 hour day to turn me into an idiot!

Good thing you did not need one this past weekend !

I like Alamo. Super friendly, some of lowest rates, generally will give you an upgrade, do not run your CC for deposit, pay when pau + a fair, late check in policy. Not all companies offer this/these ...

aloha,
pog
People swear by Discount Hawaii Car Rental for the lowest rate. We have had great luck with Costco (go to the TRAVEL section of their website), but of course you must be a member.
Thanks Loretta,

Shockwave, Neva try but suggest running your times through Discount Hawaii Car Rental .. They were +/- price for the times I would use them but for sure worth a look since you get all of the companies right there in one search.

aloha,
pog
+1 for Discount Hawaii Car Rental. I was never able to beat their price while shopping around on my own.
Aiona comes through when it's busy-

http://aionacars.com/rentals/
Second vote for Aiona - best weekly rates last time I needed.
We always use Alamo because years back they were the only ones that didn't disable the 4 wheel drive on their jeeps. Not sure if that's still true, but these days you can get all wheel drive vehicles.

I've even taken a vehicle back with some minor damage (scraped it on a rock backing up) and they didn't charge me for it. I've rented from them over 30 times in the last twelve years with no problems.

From the responses, it sounds like Aiona or Discount Hawaii might have better rates. I've never tried them.

I always rent from the Alamo site. One tip is to go ahead and reserve the car, then keep checking back. Sometimes the rate will go down. In that case, reserve it then cancel the original reservation. I've saved hundreds of dollars doing that.
Costco usually beats everyone else's prices.
I've used Discount Hawaii Car Rentals and they were good. I've also used Atlas Choice and they were good as well. Chas's advice regarding reserve and then watch is good, but either of the previous places give you a pretty close price to the lowest you can eventually find right off the bat so there's no risk of missing a good deal.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike