Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird stuff at Lowes
Went to Lowes today and at the register paid using a gift card and the remainder would be put on my Visa. For some reason unknown to me, they couldn't run my card. At first they said it was expired (it expires this December), then they said the amount was too small (8.20), to put on a charge card. After several other attempts, I finally just paid with cash since the line was getting long. So after handing the cashier the cash, she asked me for my phone number...I asked why and they got defensive.
Oh, and my card is a chip card which we tried swiping and inserting.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I hope you held your ground on phone number ...

The chip cards are a PITA IMO ... Even new / fresh ones, only work 1/2 the time, then after 4 tries, cashier resets and SWIPES ... LOL.

Using my regular ones 'till they expire ..

aloha,
pog
I think sometime this month, all businesses have to be set up and use chip cards. About 1/3 of the places I've been are ready for chip cards.
My card doesn't work right at Safeway gas either, but my wife's works just fine.
I didn't give out my phone number at Lowes.
Businesses are not "required" to accept chip cards, they can simply accept responsibility for fraudulent transactions. Similarly, banks are not required to issue chip cards, they can also accept responsibility...

The sad part is, while the rest of the world is "chip & pin" (acutal 2-factor authentication), we got "chip & sign", with valid 16-digit account numbers still printed on the card...
Having had merchant accounts myself I have to say I'm suspicious of their comments. If a card doesn't go through the terminal doesn't give you any reasons. It just says "declined". It doesn't say "card is expired", "over limit" or anything else. I guess its possible that things have changed in the last few months, but that has been my experience for decades. Also if they called it a "charge card" like you stated, that is also incorrect. A VISA is a credit card (unless it's a debit card), American Express or an Aloha Gas card are charge cards.
Memory vague here but I DID once read my entire policy on my Costco/CC machine and stated one is NOT allowed to ask for ID. As long as the card goes through.

NOT stating this as fact, but pretty sure that was the way it read. Using PayPal now.

aloha,
pog
I also use PayPal for most of my transactions.

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
Kalakoa, good point, I should have said that.

They never said my card was declined, it seemed like it was not even being recognized by their system. Been working everywhere else, tho'.
We also have been having problems with the new card readers at certain establishments . It is not the card that is faulty but the card reader which has been faulty from the get go .
When a store asks us for our phone number or email,we say,we do not have a phone and we do not have an email address.
Or in polite form - none of their business.

Mrs . Mimosa