Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Great Pumpkin Asteroid Day
Having grown up in the UK when Halloween was not celebrated in quite the same way as it is in the US, I've never really been sure about the protocol to follow here. As a kid, we knew what Halloween was, but were much more excited and looking forward to "bonfire night", or Guy Fawkes Night on 5th November.

So, even if it isn't appropriate, have a happy Halloween tomorrow and while the kids are out trick or treating, remember the "Great Pumpkin Asteroid", or "Spooky" will be making its closest approach to Earth. I'm sure Linus will be looking for it from the pumpkin patch!
That moon rise tonight looked like a giant pumpkin, pretty orange when it rose above the horizon. Happy Halloween.
Aloha, SBH! Fantastic sight, isn't it?!?! (The vog may be providing that color; which is perfect for Halloween...almost ominous). Always a pleasure to "see" you. Trust all is well.

Mr. Tom, (sorry, OT) go tomorrow and buy the 50% off candy, in case little ones come calling, Sir. Then, can freeze them, for baking/eating later (ie. snickers brownies, reese's ice cream cake, s'mores with milky way bars, etc!)

Grandson brought up the skyline and beyond, again, ("GPA" = Great Pumpkin Asteriod) asking questions that are difficult to answer without more "homework" on my part and his. Taking the tidbit you provide, and making him search "Google" a little further, gives me a little more time for response (lol). This is what he's asking me about, Sir[?]:

http://www.space.com/19195-night-sky-pla...casts.html

Be well, and rest well, Gentlemen. Let us hope all are driving safely tomorrow, and watching out for the keiki doing the "Trick or Treat" adventure.

Aloha ahiahi.

JMO.
The orange glow of Halemaumau illuminating the misty sky as seen through the dark silhouette of ohia last night looked like a gigantic jack o' lantern.
Thanks, Opihikao! We don't get trick or treaters here, I'm right at the end of a very dark dead-end road, but just in case, my wonderful neighbor has supplied me with home-made cookies. Whether I've eaten them by tomorrow is another matter...

The link is a little odd, but glad there's a live feed and someone will be explaining things. It says a huge asteroid which isn't true, it's relatively small, but if it did happen to hit the earth (it won't), it'd be a continent killer. If it hit the moon on the side facing us, then we'd be dealing with large rocks created by the collision heading our way. Fortunately, that won't happen either!

It's in an unusual orbit which is why it wasn't discovered earlier. Asteroids tend to be in the same plane as the planets and that's where most of the asteroid surveys are concentrated. Comets, however, can come from any direction. Usually they're spotted months if not years in advance, but this object has been in close orbit around the sun for a very long time. So, given its orbit, it's likely an ancient comet that got captured millions of years ago and over time all the ices on it have disappeared, so now it looks like a big rock (just like an asteroid). So, being in an unusual orbit, being small and relatively dark meant it was only discovered recently.

I actually spent Wednesday night trying to detect water ice on the object (among other things). A detection of ice would likely have confirmed it's an old comet, but there was no obvious detection. However, it'll take a little more analysis and modelling to confirm this.

Sorry for the spoiler!
Mr. Tom, words of wisdom, and much contemplation, Sir! Mahalo. This kid is 14 (going on 50 [xx(]), and is entranced with the scientific interpretation of the "heavens" and all the things that exist "beyond our eyes"...He is trying diligently to meld our culture with the scientific aspects of what surrounds us. A handful, to say the least. (The same one that did his report in school based on your dissertation a year or so ago...) He is our "punahele" (the chosen one), and mahalo for your guidance. As his "Tutu", I'm at a loss on occasion.(Shhh...[Wink])

Have a good evening, and my best regards to Pam (sending warmest aloha as always).

JMO.

P.S. LMAO! Sitting here reading, eating a BIG Twix bar. [Big Grin]SO ono!
Happy Halloween to you all Smile

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Opihikao,

Having never been through the US or HI education system, I have no idea what level a 14-year old reaches in science education. I'd like you to ask your punahele a physics question and would love to know what his response is. He may not know the answer, but even he doesn't, he could research it.

If an asteroid was going to hit the earth, what would have more effect on the outcome? Doubling the mass of the asteroid or doubling its velocity?

Thanks!
300,000 miles! That was a close shave.
Now that it's Halloween, it's Spooky, the scary space skull imaged by radar:

http://goo.gl/5XEP5y

And a creepy song to go with it, "I Want You" by Elvis Costello and Fiona Apple. Not for kids.

https://youtu.be/cAJ2HK2Epqs

Don't look into her eyes...