Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malihini meltdowns
Just curious, but "malihini meltdown" seems to mentioned all the time here by pahoated, it seems to be an obsession, and appears to be applied to everyone as far as I can see, no matter if they grew up here, lived here for decades or are recent arrivals.

So when does someone stop being a malihini and what is involved in the meltdown?

Thanks in advance.
I'll take a malihini meltdown and a double kamaaina kamikaze to go.

aloha,
pog
PT is a "malihini" being a transplant of the Pacific NW.

The only time you're truly stop being being is when you think to yourself you are 'local'. That's pretty much the ticket, think and become.

However the real key to understanding the whole mess? Is that you are essentially labeling people. Once you do that... in my mind, you're pretty much just another racist uneducated lowlife a**hole.

Enjoy the day and carry on! Just another day in Paradise!
Pog, if I ever open a restaurant, you can come name the drink menu!
I will never be a local as I am too advanced in age to do the time. I try not to made an @ss of myself. I can and do meltdown anywhere. I approve of the cocktail list.
I have been witness to many a 'malihini meltdown'

Its usually preceded by some kind of encounter with polynesian paralysis.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
the day you aint no malahini is the day you kinda hate most haole, and you are one haole.... (connect more with locals than tourists/transplants)

some never feel like they malahini, cause they born n raised here, and all their friends are hapaasian, hapapacificisler, hapahaole, etc. and they used to go beach with kids down the block to magic island waikiki or hanauma bay and have fun dunk all the haoletourist kine kids underwater, pull their feet, and throw sand at them until their parents shooed you away, then you think "why we pick on them kids, they kinda look like (only) me???" hmmm lol
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
A malihini is a stranger, newcomer, guest or one unfamiliar with a place or custom; including surprisingly enough to me, Pele, since she came from Kahiki (Tahiti)
http://wehewehe.org/gsdl2.85/cgi-bin/hdict?e=d-11000-00---off-0hdict--00-1----0-10-0---0---0direct-10-ED--4-------0-1lpm--11-haw-Zz-1---Zz-1-home-malihini--00-3-1-00-0--4----0-0-11-00-0utfZz-8-00&d=D12616&l=en

Tradition has it that Pele was expelled from Kahiki by her brothers because of insubordination, disobedience, and disrespect to their mother, Honua-mea, sacred land.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/ulh/ulh28.htm

So, one possible explanation of ted's malihini meltdown is some kind of rock-hot volcanic reaction to current circumstances. But if Pele herself can't always deal, what hope is there for the rest of us, and how could ted even find fault? Does he see us as strangers in a strange land, rather than newcomers in a new land?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
When you have assimilated yourself to the ways of the island and its people, and have cast away all mainland thoughts, you might be past the malihini stage and heading towards kamaaina

Edit for spelling

Community begins with Aloha
Trolling Tom. I was aware of island fever a long time ago, and started seeing it, started noticing more and more malihini meltdowns, and started noticing the same phases. First, the plan stinks. Second, the ecstasy sets in. Third, the agony happens. Buh-bye. Yeah, just part of the overall laughs because some of the stories are eff-ed up.
The ones that are the worst are those that no longer see anything beautiful here at all anymore.

Hawaii moku no hale.

"Pity the po' foo's!" - Mr. T

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*