Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What bug is this?
I found a bunch of dead bugs on my desk. At first I thought they were moths, but when I looked close, nope. Any idea what these buggers are? They are 1/4" long. The scan looks really green, but they look more gray to the naked eye. http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af26...20this.jpg Anybody know?
The hind leg looks really long, like a cricket or grasshopper.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Probably a kind of leafhopper called a sharpshooter. Here are some photos of various ones from Florida:
http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures...ooters.htm

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
I would take it to the State bug guys on Lanikaula for a definitive answer (corner Lanikaula & Kilauea..) esp if you have never seen them before...just in case they are something NEW & IMPROVED!
ADD
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Plant Protection and Quarantine
Hawaii Island
Hilo
16E Lanikaula Street
Hilo, Hawaii 96720-4302
Phone: (808) 974-4141 FAX: (808) 974-4148
Definitely looks leaf-hopper-y. (thanks, Allen!) But the ones in the article are twice as big. I have a call in to the "state bug guys" (thanks, Carey!) and will send them the scan for identification. Will let you know what they say.
Allen, you are correct! Definitive answer comes from Stacey Chun at Dept of Ag: "This is a leafhopper (Draeculacephala species). One of its popular host is water cress, however may feed on other plants and weeds. Can be a vector for transmission of plant diseases. May bite to investigate to see if you are a preferred host does not sting." I wonder how they got in my office where there are NO plants for them to have been brought in on!
Speaking of weird bugs ... I just zapped a what looked like a WHITE cockroach !

aloha,
pog
You zapped it just after it molted. Boy, how would you feel if you just got out of the shower and some huge cockroach zapped you? [Wink]