Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ants in P.O. Boxes (updated)
Last couple times I got my mail, it had ants all over it. This is the cluster at Paradise and 1st in HPP. Anyone else getting ants with their mail?

Haven't seen any more ants in the last week. We usually check our box about three times a week.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
That's rude! Not see them, and throw the mail in on the cars seat.... Get somebody's attention quick!

http://www.amazon.com/TERRO-T401-Killer-...B00BPQG5B6
We have had ongoing issues with black ants in our roadside mailbox in Leilani. We need to spray Home Defense inside and out about once a week to avoid problems. We have never figured out why they would be attracted to the box. Mail never sits there for any extended time.
You can get ant baits (depending on the type of ant that is in your box...hopefully NOT LFA's! (still getting the proper bait like Amdro for the LFA's, or sweet bait for sweet lovin' ants - see below for a time tested recipe, should work)

These do take a few days to fully notice a population reduction...

Use this time tested (natural) recipe for Sweet lovin' ants:
1 teaspoon boric acid
6 tablespoons sugar
2 cups hot water (this water must be really hot)
Mix ingredients and pour over cotton balls. Put mixture in cottage cheese containers with lids and poke holes about 1/8" from the bottom. Don't worry if you have more ants the first couple of days. After third day, ant problem should be gone. BE SURE NOT TO PUT THIS WHERE CHILDREN AND PETS CAN GET INTO IT.
Hot Shot Ant and Roach killer. Available at Malama, Longs (I think), and other places. Kills for 12 weeks. I was surprised it actually lasted about that long in Hawaii.
I doubt if the post office will appreciate me putting traps or spraying insecticide in my p.o. box!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The Post Office is not going to provide or maintain CBU's any more .
Your best bet would be to meet the mail carrier and ask her if you if you could be there when the boxes are open and then you could just remove their nest if they have one there.

Then I would spray around the pedestal base with Home Defense.
There is a chalk like stick that Ace has had...I remember they had those in store TV ads a couple of years ago on the stick...it was supposed to stop ALL ants... never tried it, cause our ants are in our trees, mainly, not in a place where a chalk type thing would help us...
Just toss in some boric acid powder. Pretty harmless to humans. I doubt the P.O. would even notice it.