Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whales
Just curious...anyone seeing whales yet?
We out ( almost ) everyday here. Maybe thought so saw, but not confirm yet.

Maybe avoiding m - bites or ...
It is just the beginning of the season, so sightings might be rare. The peak is January to March. This last February, they were out in force. Really good shore viewing from Laupahoehoe to Onekahakaha. Saw them multiple times with accompanying spinner dolphins. There is nothing like watching breaching whales with dolphins flying through the air to bring home the feeling of paradise. Kind of insane for the Navy to want to do explosives and sonar test and training in whale migration and mating areas. That is one development we kamaaina seriously do not want.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Ted, you are having your own personal meltdown ... The Navy is not here testing off Big Island. Which is the topic.
Although I can't see them from my place (North Kaloli Point) I can usually hear them in the evening, but nothing so far. I usually start hearing them late November/early December, so they may be a little late in this particular spot, but a bit too early to tell for sure.

The ocean water is warmer than normal but don't know if that has an effect on whale season.
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Ted, you are having your own personal meltdown ... The Navy is not here testing off Big Island. Which is the topic.

Wow, pog shows the sudden ability to form complete, coherent sentences. So the posts of the last three years have been fony doofus? Look at this map. It is called the Hawaii Range Complex.
http://hstteis.com/portals/hstteis_p3/hs...324v05.jpg
Notice how a box has been added to the lower right corner that encompasses the whole island of Hawaii. This is a recent expansion. This article proves you need to go back to pog-lish mode. Notice how it clearly defines the area:
"http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/good-news-whales-navy-agrees-limit-sonar-testing-pacific-n427266
In Hawaii, the deal prohibits sonar and explosives training on the eastern side of the Big Island and north of Molokai and Maui. The groups said that will protect Hawaiian monk seals and small populations of toothed whales, including the endangered false killer whale.

The Navy also won't be able to exceed a set number of major training exercises in the channel between Maui and the Big Island and on the western side of the Big Island."

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Whooossshhh...
zzzzziiiiittt .... Whale on Whale on !!!

" The Navy also won't be able to exceed a set number of major training exercises in the channel between Maui and the Big Island and on the western side of the Big Island."

EXACTLY !!!

But oh, Ted 'got me' on a technicality. My bad to assume and believe the OP was inquiring about land-to-sea sighting's off the coast here.

Speaking of, I read another, opaque and unrelated-to-thread-topic detour about this by you Ted a while back.

Posted - 09/20/2015 : 08:17:19 Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote

In a way, the protest against TMT on Mauna Kea has acted like a smoke screen, hiding other activities that are far more harmful to the environment.

The US Navy has now gotten approval to conduct full scale sonar and explosives exercises in Maui Channel. They have been given permission to have "collateral damage" of hundreds of whales and dolphins. This is in association with P-8 testing, meaning high altitude test drops of multiple ordinance. Somehow, these approvals are flying through with no native or even kamaaina transplant protesters, when they know what happened to Kahoolawe. As TV Batman would say, "Poor misguided creatures".

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21505&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=navy%2Cwhales

Ted, since the article you are posting today was published about a week before your above 09/20/15 rant, I can only wonder if you read it and then simply applied your typically twisted, cynical views and spun it here for us ?

No wonder whales decided to remain in the Sea.

Good catch, Pog.
Been at Hapuna Beach for the past two days and no sight of any whales.