Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving with Aloha
Finding myself driving afternoon rush hour from Hilo several times a week, I say "Aloha" to those slower drivers that use the right lane.

For you other pokey people out there, please: slower traffic keep right. If you are not going to go at least the speed limit, move over. Driving too slowly is as big a hazard to surrounding traffic as driving too fast.

And to the blonde woman in the red KIA: I know your car goes faster than 40 mph and must have turn signals as standard equipment. Plus throwing your glowing half-smoked cigarette out the window is just BAD FORM. It gives those of us that try to be responsible and considerate smokers a bad name.

PS. Turning left out of Shower during rush hour is just dangerous and dumb.
1 island 2 another
I feel your pain I really do but just know that your pleadings will fall on deaf ears! Hawaii is Americas 3rd world with the insane infantile drivers included. Its not a commute its a sport!!
Yes agree with lavalava - it is a sport not a commute .
Slower lane means 55 when every one is is doing 65 - 70 to get the next red light.
It is those pesky tailgaters that bother us the most - we just pull over on the shoulder and let them speed up to tailgate the next vehicle in the long line of sporting commuters getting to the next red light .
It is only 15 miles from walmart to Kea'au Pahoa interchange .
16 mins on a slow day - 14 mins in bumper to bumper next red light runners.
A reminder to all - from the curve going into hilo at pahoa kea'au merge it is 35MPH .Then from the merge to past shipman turn off it is 45 .From shipman turn off to panaewa manimau is 55 mph and after nani mau is 45 and so forth.
Law enforcement is very eager this season to give tickets to those of you going faster than the posted signage mph wise from kea'au pahoa merge to the shipman turn off.Just 45 is fine .
Over the saddle the other evening,on our commute to work - plenty lifted trucks doing 70+ mph .Plenty L.E. pulling over the speeders .

Tis the season to drive with a smile while cell talking - cell texting - vape ing - smoking a blunt - swerving in and out of lanes - driving while drunk or high and plenty drivers do all of the above .

Mrs Mimosa

using the right hand lane for the slower traffic just doesn't make sense to people that have driven here there entire lives.

as Mimosa mentioned, it's only 15 miles. As Mimosa doesn't mention, the slow lane is the slow lane, no matter how far it is.

The two lanes aren't just for speed, they are for safety. Having both lanes traveling different speeds is safer. Less time in mirror blind spots, more ability for traffic to do what the road is designed to let it do - flow.