Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why some move here
I moved here for this almost twenty years ago and there were many before me and many more since then. Hundreds of locals are also involved in this work. Despite one or two people claiming otherwise, this work involves many in Puna.

Views of our Solar System, from the Sun to the Earth to Pluto:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35292518
Thanks for that, Tom. Wonderful and amazing photos!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Thanks for sharing. Coooooool!

Cheers,
Kirt
Beautiful photos Tom.

Might I add, the astronomy community on the Big Island and in Hawaii not only produces beautiful images of our neighbors in space, and incredible scientific discoveries. They also have earth-bound applications as well, such as a new near-Earth asteroid detection program:

"NASA has formalized its ongoing program for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) as the Planetary Defense Coordination Office (PDCO). Pan-STARRS 1 telescope on Maui's Mount Haleakala, Hawaii has produced the most near-Earth object discoveries of the NASA-funded NEO surveys in 2015."

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4816
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by TomK
Hundreds of locals are also involved in this work. Despite one or two people claiming otherwise, this work involves many in Puna.

Nobody ever said that. Your link is to a generic astronomy as art site, many are satellite and space probe photos, which is doubtful more than 2 or 3 people in Puna have some direct connection. Obviously, you felt a need to somehow connect the two and vent.

Almost all science and technology on these islands is due to and can be traced back to Senator Inouye. He was the one that got the first observatory on Mauna Kea. And if you heard how he did it, you would say "local corruption". It is weird but these groups have almost been waiting for him to die, and now, they are going to dismantle anything with his name behind it.

The reality is only a few hundred locals are employed by the observatories. There are a lot associated with the university but the numbers directly employed by the observatories is small with respect to the main employers. The Mauna Kea standoff is resulting in some positive things even if TMT gets relocated. It was exposed the UHH student observatory had never been functional and was completely abandoned over 5 years ago. Now, UHH has received funding for a new one in a new location. That is good for local students. Also, the oldest observatory is being overhauled to function like telescopes in the 21st century should, almost totally automated, and able to scan thousands of targets a night. It will also have new optical and infrared sensors.

I moved here to enjoy myself and the evaluation is mission accomplished, as long as Pele lets me live here.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
"The reality is only a few hundred locals are employed by the observatories."

Is essentially the same as:

"Hundreds of locals are also involved in this work."
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Or it could be said that "Hundreds of steady good paying jobs with good benefits are provided to the community by the Observatories, which in turn creates many more jobs in the service sector"

Astronomy is one of the few providers of jobs in this County outside tourism and government and probably the only provider of good jobs outside government.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
How many businesses or endeavors here employ even a hundred? Not many.
Very nice pictures Tomk, mahalo for sharing. Hope you can enjoy tha big islands way of life for another 20 years. My parents were drawn here 50 years ago for many of these tropical reasons, many of which are still mine today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/09...57162.html

They were in hopes that Hawaii was a good place to start a family and raise kids. Compared to the trailer park lifestyles of Arizona,Oregon,and Alaska THEY were living the prior decade. I think they made a good choice.
There is a lot of discoveries and science going on at the telescopes. It sounds like a fun field to fall into. I think that TMT would have provided hundreds if not thousands of more jobs for the big island. Just think of the 50 or so more photo's that could have been added to this list with TMT alone.

Thanks for the link of images Tom, I didn't come here for work, would be nice to have a job that one likes. I never grow tired of looking up. Smile

Back to the pool, and study! Big Grin