Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless thread
Blah
"And you know with the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) under construction, and boasting the ability to do all that the TMT will do, the TMT may be rapidly loosing it's claim to being the premier design on the table. The JWST may not be anywhere as big but it sure will have a much better location. Maybe there really is no reason to build on Mauna Kea after all."

How will the JWST carry out the optical wavelength observations the TMT will be able to do? Can you provide a link to where the JWST team are boasting that it will be able to do all the TMT will do?
Obie,

"The management of the TMT and now the state have committed to see the TMT built !"

While dakine is considering his response to my questions, all I can say to your post is that I'll believe it when I see it.
http://www.space.com/12759-james-webb-sp...rease.html

This is why space telescopes, while nice, won't be replacing ground telescopes any time soon.
And imagine if the rocket launch goes wrong...
From the Fine Article:

TMT is waiting for the Board of Land and Natural Resources to advise all parties to the litigation on the process, procedures and scheduling for a new contested case.  In the meantime, TMT continues to assess our possible next steps.

This is hardly a "commitment to build"; it's the same thing TMT has been saying ever since the court decision.

For that matter, it's not up to Ige or BLNR or TMT; no decisions can be made until the courts remand the issue, and no timeline for this has yet been suggested.

Note also that there's no statements from the Protectors -- either they're assuming they've won, or they'll pop up again if any progress is made.
The permit was revoked for failing to meet finalization requirements. BLNR issued the permit, so that can be considered the state. TMT is going to be committed to TMT, kind of a redundant thing to be saying. The article says TMT is waiting for further direction from BLNR. The technicality revoking the permit was not completing the final public review. BLNR could decide another round of public reviews are needed or they might decide they just need the final review, if that is agreeable to the court. The ball is back in the BLNR court, and it's probably a given that the decision is going to take a long time to get out of BLNR. It will probably require a petition from TMT to see any movement. People seem to keep forgetting TMT is a CORPORATION and this is their BUSINESS. TMT has to take the initiative, not just hope public opinion will do their work for them.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
TMT has to take the initiative

If they have, in fact, taken any intitiative, nobody's talking about it.
The governor says all sorts of stuff but it doesn't amount to a sack of beans
it's not up to Ige or BLNR or TMT; no decisions can be made until the courts remand the issue

The Governor has said very little about the TMT, even when the protests were in full swing. He was installed by his backers as a manager rather a leader, and that's apparent on most issues.

Where has he been? What has he done? He did pop up a few days ago to deliver the State of the State Address, but other than that he works in the background like a hibernating groundhog, showing up when required to make some kind of pronouncement in front of a gathering of politicians. Governor Ige did beat Punxsutawney Phil out of his hideaway by almost a week, so I'll give him credit for that.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa
Note also that there's no statements from the Protectors -- either they're assuming they've won, or they'll pop up again if any progress is made.

I noticed this as well. Wondering if the reporter simply didn't ask any of them, didn't have time to deadline, was told not to,...what?

Truth told, I was glad they weren't included, whatever the reason. The protestors always say the same lame stuff anyway, and maybe their 15 weeks of fame is over for good. I wonder: do they have PPD (post-production depression)? Do they realize that stopping the TMT made no actual difference in their "oppressed" lives? Do any of them, with hindsight, realize what a silly thing it was to protest? Or are they basking in a sense of superiority and "self-worth"?

Or is the soap opera of Nai Aupuni taking up all their leisure time?

dakine: After all there is a reason DLNR and the university tried to circumvent the law.

Was there also a reason the protestors tried to circumvent the law? Wink Worry, not dakine, I won't be arguing with anything you say. You win. Hope you're proud of how it came out...

"The whole kit n kabodle is in disrepair. There's nowhere to go that's not here. Little captains and cuckoos from here to Timbuktu are counting their doe in the mirror."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYttaL_AHLw

So long TMT...

Cheers,
Kirt
Note also that there's no statements from the Protectors
Do they realize that stopping the TMT made no actual difference in their "oppressed" lives? ... Or are they basking in a sense of superiority and "self-worth"?

I always wondered how many Protectors continued to drive up Mauna Kea after the protests, which many claimed was the one sacred spot where they could practice their religion? It was a fundamental reason cited for halting construction of the TMT.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves