Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does trouble find Many of our local leaders?
Not sure these are the type of guys that we need protecting our community, jmo. Found this video with a couple of our local hero's from a year or two ago. Both of these guys really know how to give puna a black eye.

http://bjpennhawaiinews.com/exclusive-ha...emergency/

Why does trouble seem to find many of our local hero's or political leaders?. B.J Penn now has his own serious allegations surrounding him, his upcoming UFC fight has now been cancelled.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-b...ent-021916

In a third-world country with a distorted tax base, there's nothing left to do but smear, troll, and gripe.
Calling BJ Penn a community leader is a big stretch. He beats people up and trains others how to beat people up for a living. Look at all the violent attacks that have been done by these so called MMA fighters in the last few years, like the guy who killed someone in a bar fight.
I'm with shockwave. Penn would like us to think he is some kind of leader, but his so-called community accomplishments are all in relation to promoting a violent, thuggish sport. In fact, associating with Billy Kenoi only enhances the impression that he is a thug. Having said all that, the allegations that Penn's former website operator is making haven't been proven as yet.
Well unfortunately the fighter is a leader here, unfortunate because he promotes violence. BUT he hasn't been convicted of anything, people do get jealous of other success. Innocent until proven guilty.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

I'm with shockwave. Penn would like us to think he is some kind of leader, but his so-called community accomplishments are all in relation to promoting a violent, thuggish sport. In fact, associating with Billy Kenoi only enhances the impression that he is a thug. Having said all that, the allegations that Penn's former website operator is making haven't been proven as yet.

I was volunteering to hand out info packets at a school anti-bullying event a few years ago where Penn was the star speaker. One of the kids asked him if he likes hurting people and he said yes! A bunch of the parents were really upset that he was asked to address elementary kids if that was the sort of thing being expressed, he was mostly promoting his gym as a "healthy alternative" activity for kids.
Kalakoa, thanks for the laugh. Much more going on or dying in Puna this month than smearing, trolling, and gripeing,jmo.

Couldn't help but notice the dark green military or forest division helicopter being used over leilani Again this morning. They may have been counting the hundreds of thousands of dead or dying Ohia trees around leilani, or puna? Question and concern here though, When they continue to fly so low or land in various infected places, couldn't that be spreading this( Ohia wilt or ROD)? Sure hope these military used helicopters don't go spreading this Ohia wilt (ROD) into the volcano national park or kona side later this afternoon?.

quote:
Originally posted by shockwave rider

he was mostly promoting his gym as a "healthy alternative" activity for kids.

Does he offer scholarships for poor kids to go to his gym? Maybe he does and then he is a leader. Maybe he doesn't and the "healthy alternative" is for marketing purposes.

Either way he is just an athlete and I hope that our kids are aiming higher than that.
I don't think it's a case of trouble finding them, it's more like they seek out trouble.

And yet Billy gets reelected...

In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve. --Alexis de Tocqueville

edited to add quote.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

quote:
Originally posted by shockwave rider

he was mostly promoting his gym as a "healthy alternative" activity for kids.

Does he offer scholarships for poor kids to go to his gym? Maybe he does and then he is a leader. Maybe he doesn't and the "healthy alternative" is for marketing purposes.

Either way he is just an athlete and I hope that our kids are aiming higher than that.

Offering scholarships to an environment that encourages hitting other people, even if the people being hit are volunteers, when we already have all these MMA wannabes getting into public scraps, is not being a leader by my standards. It is a self serving effort by Penn at keeping the pipeline open with new blood for his industry. This is not a "sport" that leads to college scholarships or that looks good on a resume, unless applying to be a bouncer.