Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congratulations Hawaii justice system!
Another cold blooded killer set free on our streets. Kill someone, chop them up and dispose of them and get off free. Absolutely fkn free.

Can't wait to see these three guys on our streets again. What great contributors to our community!
Welcome to the Jungle.
He is still is custody on unrelated charges. Witnesses pleaded the 5th. Probably got word of a hit if they testified. I agree, our judicial system sucks, along with the prosecutors. It's disgusting actually. And wasn't that other dude out on parole from a life sentence, the honoli'i shooter?

Born and Raised. Puna grown!
Born and Raised. Puna grown!
Another argument for electing our judges and prosecutors, rather than having them be appointed?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

Another argument for electing our judges and prosecutors, rather than having them be appointed.

What exactly are the judges and prosecutors supposed to do if they lose all the witnesses?

I am as frustrated as anyone about the lack of accountability for very serious crimes, but I don't see how this falls on the judge or prosecutor. Perhaps I am missing something?

In any case, the adage the you have to kill somebody twice in Hawaii to get prison seems to be reinforced again and again...

Cheers,
Kirt
I had an acquaintance here from Mississippi. His idea was to forget the whole imperfect criminal justice system altogether. Take them down to the end of the road, string 'em up by the neck and be done with 'em, save taxpayer money. Subsequently he pronounced his support for Donald Trump and moved back to Mississippi. Good riddance.
The case was dismissed without prejudice which means he could still go to trial for the crime.
The case couldn't go forward because all witnesses refused to testify.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
In most places a plea deal in return for testifying would have already been on the table before they went to court. Just the act of forcing 2 people at gunpoint to saw up and dispose of a body has to have multiple possible charges for that alone, in addition to the original murder. I would guess conversations are happening between the lawyers for the witnesses and the prosecutors about a plea deal now. The sticking point is going to be that the witnesses have to be convinced this guy is really going to prison for a long time, or they won't feel safe testifying, and with our judges that is not an assured thing by any stretch of the imagination.
FBI, Crime in the United States
by State, 2013:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cr...e_2013.xls

quote:
Originally posted by shockwave rider

and with our judges that is not an assured thing by any stretch of the imagination.

So the judge was being threatened as well?

Cheers,
Kirt