Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future is now! NO MORE GASOLINE!
This could be the best thing for the Big Island and the world.
I am seriously considering this!
Please take a moment to take a look and share it with all your friends. $5.00 a gallon gas is just around the corner.

https://aptera.com/

Hmm, electricity in Hawaii is generated by oil (one third of the oil used in Hawaii goes to generate electricity) actually, MORE oil goes to make electricity in Hawaii than it does to power cars. Also the Aptera car/motorcycle can at this moment only be sold in California so it won't be an answer to oil usage in Hawaii.

Until we can power electric cars with electricity made from something other than oil, running electric cars will not help.

Ecologically speaking, animal powered vehicles may be the only valid answer. They don't take oil, energy or metal to create, they run (well, at least amble) on entirely renewable fuels and they can become food or fertilizer afterwards. They are very limited in range, speed and power, though. Guess folks will just have to live closer to everything and quit going to town as much.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I find the compressed air car more interesting. Doesn't need heavy questionable batteries.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/659/
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Here, here, Hotcatz. Lets have a horse-riding lane parallel to 130! (Not on 130....or anywhere near 130 --no airbags on horses).

With all the rain, we will need some really nice looking carriages as well.

And a blacksmith!

And a saloon!

And some rough and ready cowboys! Back to the egg nog.....

What about electrolysys and the burning of water. I have never understood why this technology isn't discussed amongst the "green's". The technology has been around for around 80 or more years. I even understand it is being used successfully for some home fireplaces now. What am I missing?

Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
it takes more energy to make the H than you get from burning it, but it is a good way to store energy if you have a cheap but unreliable source of power like wind

Anybody familiar with this technology? Looked promising.

Sunday, September 09, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Salt water as fuel? Erie man hopes so

"...So, Mr. Kanzius said, he put sea water in a test tube, then trained his machine on it, producing an unexpected spark. In time he and laboratory owners struck a match and ignited the water, which continued burning as long as it remained in the radio-frequency field.

During several trials, heat from burning hydrogen grew hot enough to melt the test tube, he said. Dr. Roy's tests on the machine last week provided further evidence that the process is releasing and burning hydrogen from the water. Tests on different water solutions and concentrations produced various temperatures and flame colors."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07252/815920-85.stm
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
My dad is currently building an electric car that will be powered on sunlight. We have a lot of extra juice from our array on sunny days so we will charge up the car and use it. No fuel but sunlight SmileIs there any links that talk about compressed air driven vehicles. I've heard they can have upwards of 200 mile ranges. But that would be a lot of compressor running. Its takes 20 minutes just to fill 1 dive tank with our compressor.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
To me, the big problem with this type of vehicle is the battery. More specificly what will the battery disposal problem(s) be.

Good post, Daniel. I talked recently to a car engineer. A good candidate for hawaii is a plug in electrical car in which the electricity comes from solar panels on the roof of your house. We're almost there.

Batteries are an issue, but there are new technologies that will be introduced shortly to deal with those issues.

Edited by - hpp4me on 12/24/2007 07:11:59

Edited by - hpp4me on 12/24/2007 07:12:52