Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...t-sublease

Judge Greg Nakamura ordered the state Board of Land and Natural Resources to revisit its approval of the giant proposed telescope’s land lease on Mauna Kea and the issues raised by opponents who consider the mountain sacred.

I suggest that it's time for additional legal challenges on any and all development, starting with leases and permits issued to the Walmart, Safeway, Target, Home Depot, PKP Mall, Foodland, KTA, etc. It is beyond hypocrisy for the "Protectors" to claim that some land is sacred and deserving of proection while other land is apparently suitable for desecration with big-box stores, parking lots, and cesspools.
What's up with Judge Nakamura?
Sounds like business as usual around here. Sadly, screw the people...I think the likelihood of TMT being built is the same as hilo getting a costco or a sam's club... Pretty frigen slim!
So, when are the builders going to begin their lawsuit against the state for giving them the go ahead to build??

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
It might be too big for this island

Then HART is definitely way too big for Oahu, and must be shut down.
"Mauna Kea is the sweet spot on this planet but ground optical telescopes are dying rapidly. It might be too big for this island and the top of Mauna Kea should be cleared of observatories eventually, beyond museum observatories open to tourists. Optical array telescopes in L2 are going to cost much less than estimated a few years ago, by making the big mirror/lens configuration obsolete."

Please refer to my previous responses to this very same claim PT keeps making but is demonstrably false.
Optical array telescopes in L2 are going to cost much less than estimated a few years ago, by making the big mirror/lens configuration obsolete

In the next 20 years, how many earth based telescopes will be built? How many space based?

If ted's comments about future observatories are correct, the answers would be:
1) no earth based observatories are planned or will be built as they are obsolete
2) all future observatories will be based in space

Clearly that is far from true. Almost all new observatories will continue to be built on earth, while only a few will be launched into space.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This problem began at the State level, continues at the State level, and perhaps, will end at the State level. Very sad state of affairs (no pun intended).

The entire process appears to be flawed in the court's opinion (both Supreme Court, and now Circuit Court). BLNR, UH and the State have failed in providing ALL parties fair and reasonable solutions.

TMT bears the brunt of these actions (yes, by ALL parties), along with the looming renewal of the master lease to UH. This will become key to TMT, and all the other future ventures on this specific land.

There is no question the UH and the State have failed miserably in providing the basics of land use provisions. This is all designated Conservation land, and there are many responsibilities that come with the designation. (*Note: We own land in Conservation, and it's extremely difficult to do anything with it, given the restrictions.)

The proposed draft of the lease extension is at link below: (Dated 12/22/14)

http://tinyurl.com/p52vyht

Good article on the basics of the lease extension: (*Snipped)

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/...lease.html

The University of Hawaii is seeking to renew its master lease for land at the summit of the Mauna Kea volcano on the Big Island with a new, 65-year lease for the Mauna Kea Science Reserve, along with other astronomy facilities and easements nearby.
A notice published last week by the state Office of Environmental Quality Control explores the lease proposal and other options.

The BLNR has some work ahead, and under the direction of the State, if resolution is not found soon, heads should roll.

JMO.
if resolution is not found soon, heads should roll.

Yes, "should".

I suspect we'll get a circus parade with scapegoat heads.

The bigger can of worms I'm curious about: if the permit process turns out to be a sham, what happes to all the everything else that's been built on that same process?

This is probably what the Protectors are hoping for...
Just two or three other questions for PT:

"It will have 300 times the field of view that Hubble has. Hubble is now imaging exoplanets within 300 light-years, this Chinese space telescope may be able to image atmosphere and land masses of small, rocky exoplanets."

1) How does a telescope with a larger field of view image the atmospheres of small rocky exoplanets (for sensible people, the wider field of view actually means the telescope won't be able to do that);

2) You keep saying that telescopes can only focus on one star at a time, so what is your opinion of having a telescope that has such a large field of view which means it can image millions of stars in one go, but can only focus on one of them at any given time?

3) Do you know what "field of view" actually means?