Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poisoning our Environment?
It has just come to my attention that multiple government agencies (State and Federal) are working together in the planning of a massive rat and mongoose eradication effort throughout the islands. From an initial review of the:

Environmental Impact Statement Preparation Notice (EISPN) for Invasive Rodent and Mongoose Control and Eradication on U.S. Pacific Islands within the National Wildlife Refuge System and in Native Ecosystems in Hawai‘i

it appears that they are planning the wide, ground and aerial, distribution of diphacinone, chlorophacinone, and brodifacoum, all of which are vitamin K uptake inhibitors commonly known as rodenticides, ie., what we commonly call rat poison.

This action in itself would be considered noble in that the rodent population is a serious menace to other forms of wildlife. But, at least in the short term, the broad, rather than controlled and site specific, application of these toxins in the environment will have a devastating effect on a myriad of lifeforms including domestic animals and possibly all of us (humans) that depend on food that comes from our local environment.

From what I can tell this program would effect large parts of Puna as well as all the other native habitats on the island and throughout the state. And over time as the poison is moved out of the initial target areas will impact thousands of us in our own habitats.

This has been reported in the Tribune Herald on February 25, 2016 and can be read here:

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...t-controls

and which seems to play down the negative impacts to the program. Whereas more recently our (Puna's) own Sydney Ross Singer wrote a Community Voice piece in Civil Beat that brings a more urgent sense of concern to this issue as can be read here:

http://www.civilbeat.com/2016/03/eradica...mongooses/

and even though the Trib's piece only reports that:

a new joint state and federal proposal to launch a comprehensive control or eradication of the invasive animals from native ecosystems...

it appears from a reading of the very detailed and lengthy Environmental Impact Statement Preparation Notice that can be read in its entirety here:

http://oeqc.doh.hawaii.gov/Shared%20Docu...tewide.pdf

that there has already been a lot done in laying the groundwork for this program.

To me this sounds like a nightmare. In the EISPN it is noted that studies of past poisonings to kill rats showed that the poison kills more than rats and that here we can expect “non-target” casualties as well. Here on the island this would include cats, barn owls, the Hawaiian owl, the Hawaiian hawk, and any other bird which eats the poison or eats poisoned crabs, insects, rodents, fish, slugs, or any other prey. The poison is found in everything, making the entire food chain poisonous.

Further fish are also found to contain the poison after it leaches into the oceans and reefs, including fish used for human food, making this a known hazard to most of us. Pigs are expected to also eat the poison and eat dead, poisoned animals, making them a health hazard to consume as well.

For those that don't know it the most common use of a vitamin K uptake inhibitor in humans is in the form of Warfarin. This is a drug that is used as a blood thinner, and is one of the most widely used medications in America, especially by the elderly. The humbug with Warfarin (which I was on for five years because of a now past medical condition) is that in anything over the exact prescribed dosage it is poisonous and can kill you. As such its use is tightly controlled and anyone taking it is cautioned over and over about the dangers of overdosing. This type of substance in our food supply, or our animal's food supply, could be devastating.

The Trib's article concluded with:

The first talk story session is slated for 6-8 p.m. March 14 at the University of Hawaii at Hilo College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Komohana Research and Extension Center, conference rooms A and B. The second session is from 6-8 p.m. March 15 at the West Hawaii Civic Center community meeting hale.

Comments also can be submitted online and via mail and email.

For more information, visit http://removeratsrestorehawaii.org or http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDet...-0026-0019

Unfortunately I just became aware of this program and missed the opportunity to attend either of those meetings. Did anyone here attend? Does anyone know anymore than this? What are your thoughts and feelings about the wide spread application of rodenticides in our environment?

How ironic, then, that

- State banned cesspools because "they're bad for the environment"

- County keeps using herbicides because "it's no big deal"

...all while claiming that "ag is important" because the Big Island "has always been the breadbasket".

Sigh.
This aerial rodent poisoning has been used on plenty of islands, although admittedly I can't think of any the size of the Big Island. Dakine, you are probably correct that there will be collateral damage, but that damage has to be weighed against the damage that would happen if the rats were left unchecked. As one simple example, some birds might be killed eating poisoned rats, but if that number is less than the number of new birds that are now allowed to hatch (since their eggs won't be eaten), then that would weigh in favor of the aerial poisoning. By the same token, it is theoretically possible that some human might get sick from this (I personally don't think so, but for sake of argument), but much less likely than dozens or hundreds of humans getting ill from rat-borne illnesses if the rats are left unchecked.

I visited Lord Howe Island in Australia several years back, and rats had devastated nearly everything on the island for decades, and the aerial baiting had a profound impact on the island with minimal collateral damage. The Big Island is by no means the first to do something like this, and I would like to think that we have learned from all of the good and bad anecdotes from all of the islands that have done this in the past.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
It's dCON. It's been sold since the early '50's. Thanks for reminding me to refill the traps.
Lord Howe Island

No food production there, which limits the impact of poisoning the environment.
There are always knock-on effects and unintended consequences, but I agree with Justin that the benefit is highly likely to outweigh the risk. The devastation these pests have caused is obvious and getting worse.
Maybe Sydney Ross Singer can add rats and mongeese to his coqui frog sanctuary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w3A6i4ehVg

Edit to add youtube video.
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Maybe Sydney Ross Singer can add rats and mongeese to his coqui frog sanctuary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w3A6i4ehVg

Edit to add youtube video.

He already had a letter to the editor in the local fish wrap a couple weeks back favoring the mongoose. Pretty sure rats would be just more of the same.

All life is equal, but some life is more equal than others. Wink

Cheers,
Kirt
Are they actually talking about aerial spraying?
Rats have been eradicated from other islands and the end result was restoration of the ecosystem, which was the point to begin with. I'm sure some non-target species were harmed in the interim but the white coats successfully argued that the ends justified the means and in those cases they were right.

I've never heard of rats (or mongoose) being eradicated from an island as big as ours, though admittedly I haven't researched it. Considering the results of my extensive efforts on our farm, eradicating rats on the BI sounds like a moon shot. And I'm left to wonder what they plan to do with the African snail population explosion that is going to happen as soon as the mongoose and rats are eradicated? Bring them back? On our farm we have to stop poisoning the rats periodically or else the African snail population gets out of control, and they cause more damage than the rats do.

"There was an old lady who swallowed a cow.
I don't know how she swallowed a cow!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat...
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog...
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat...
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ...
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wiggled and wiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse -
She's dead, of course."